LJL 210 Reboot

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to reboot my 210. It is sitting fallow right now and all my fish are in a 75 gallon hospital tank being treated with cupramine for ich.
Now is as good a time as any to rescape the DT and get it how I want it.
Pictures to follow.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to reboot my 210. It is sitting fallow right now and all my fish are in a 75 gallon hospital tank being treated with cupramine for ich.
Now is as good a time as any to rescape the DT and get it how I want it.
Pictures to follow.

How much longer do you have on your 76 days fallow and 30 days of copper?

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have until January 28 for the fallow period and December 15 for the 30 days of copper.
I just got the copper to .5 yesterday.

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought about 40 lbs of dry rock the other day, and will be incorporating it into my existing rock.
I plan to take my corals out of the tank and put them in a 120 qt ice chest with a heater and powerhead on Wednesday and put the rocks back in the tank.
Hoping I can get a better layout than I had before.
I also need to take the canopy off and clean it real good. I have some mildew on the inside of it. I will be installing some fans in it when I take it off hoping they will eliminate the moisture buildup in the canopy.

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Wednesday before Thanksgiving I put all my corals in a big plastic bin. Ice chest did not have quite enough foot print.
I originally thought I would be able to remove the sand, and keep the water, and just clean the sand. No way I could do that once I stirred it up and saw the water turn muddy brown with about a 3 inch visibility.
So I drained the tank and removed the sand with a plastic cup and put it into three 5 gallon buckets about 2/3 full each.
I had about 40 gallons of salt water ready, but now I needed another 170. I had turned on the RODI about 5 am, but at 90 gallons per day it would take a couple of days to make enough.
Then I realized I needed more salt mix.
I made the 2 1/2 hour round trip to the LFS that had the salt in stock and was open on Wednesday and made it back home with abox of salt.
I then proceeded to rinse the sand really good with a garden hose until the water ran clear. It took a couple of hours, but less time than I thought.

I had taken all the rocks out of the tank a couple of weeks back and soaked them in a weak muriatic acid and water solution to remove all the vermetid snails. There were so many on each rock it was impossible to pick one up without touching a snail shell.
After the acid bath, I rinsed them off real good in the driveway and let them sit a couple of days in the sun to dry, and then I soaked them all in a weak solution of bleach and water. I followed this up with a soak in water with Prime in it, and then again onto the driveway to dry.

Once I had the sand clean, I started playing around with the rocks. They are all really white, and it reminded me of when I first set the tank up.

This is what I ended up with for the layout of the rocks. I have more room for corals, and have a few taller pieces too.

IMG_0223.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg

Here it is being filled:

IMG_0229.jpg

And full:
IMG_0236.jpg

It is hard to tell from the pictures but the taller piece in the back left is not connected to the arches in the front left. It is in the corner by itself. I did one in the back right behind the overflow too to try to keep my clowns out from behind the overflow. They always stayed hidden and laid eggs on the back glass or in the corner. I am hoping they will be a little more visible with this layout.

The water stayed very clear. It never really clouded up much at all.
I left the rocks in the sump and did not drain it, so hopefully my bacteria in the sump will take care of any mini cycle that will occur.
The ammonia alert badge is more for my curiosity than concern. I really don't expect any ammonia problems.

I have started putting the corals back where I think I want them. They are all back in the tank now, but some are still on the sand bed awaiting placement.

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is how it looks now. I got more rock from a friend and put it through an acid bath followed by a bleach bath, followed by a couple of weeks in a bin with saltwater.
I think I like it. I have two rows of rock, with a few inches between them.
This makes a swimming lane in the front, one in the middle and one in the back, with plenty of little spots to hide.
FTS-2-1-18.JPG

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it looks now. A few slight changes, but all is doing well.
FTS-7-1-18.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back