LLS Mounting Q

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking to mount my LLS to the inside of a 20 gal brute container with the lid on to dose kalkwasser.i can't clip it to the top edge because the lid would not close,looking for a way to attach it to the inside wall preferably without drilling through the side (there are two small holes on the LLS body.) Any ideas????

ChampionLighting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my concern as well when I first saw them was how to mount them in a mixing station when most containers are tapered at the bottom and have a thick flange. I've been told they're working on several different mounts which should be available soon.

Why not magnet mount a piece of acrylic to the side of the container and clip the LLS to the acrylic? You could also glue a piece of acrylic to a small algae magnet.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw someone on the facebook group share they used the magnetic mount from a optical sensor but I don't think they sell the magnetic mount on it's own so it's not really a great solution. I've got 2 of the 35" in my mixing station and they're just sitting in the bin. I drilled a hole in the top for the wire to pass through and they're staying vertical but i'd like to have a more secure mount. I'll probably order some sealed magnets and print my own adapters

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to mount my LLS to the inside of a 20 gal brute container with the lid on to dose kalkwasser.i can't clip it to the top edge because the lid would not close,looking for a way to attach it to the inside wall preferably without drilling through the side (there are two small holes on the LLS body.) Any ideas????

Could you clarify 'brute container with the lid on to dose kalkwasser' please?

If the brute container is used to store kalkwasser and you are using the sensor inside do not. It is not recommended to use the LLS in kalkwasser liquid.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @areefer01 pointed out I don't believe these should go into kalk/sodium hydroxide mixes. Should be all good for SW and RODI but I would steer clear from other elements.

OP
OP
authentic

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you see as the problem with fully dissolved Kalk solution being a problem? If it’s accuracy it’s not a problem,,, what else could happen to it? Also is that warning from Neptune? Or the opinion of forum members?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you see as the problem with fully dissolved Kalk solution being a problem? If it’s accuracy it’s not a problem,,, what else could happen to it? Also is that warning from Neptune? Or the opinion of forum members?

The components aren't rated for a super high pH solution. Neptune discussed this during the release and other livestreams.

I believe they are being tested in things other than RO and saltwater but they are not rated for them as of now.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• There was no discussion of accuracy - no idea why you raise it
  • No, it isn't an opinion from a forum member although I was part of the NSI testing
  • Has @rtparty already noted it was mentioned by Neptune - if you are in doubt I recommend you reaching out to them directly. I only posted as I would hate to see something negative happen and you have a bad experience.

OP
OP
authentic

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I reached out to Neptune they confirm that it is not rated for high pH however I still asked them for an explanation as to what would occur? Seems to me that the worst thing that could happen is that the sensor stops working within a shorter period of time and given its costs and my anticipated use it would almost be worth it to replace it if necessary. I will report back when I hear from them

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to Neptune they confirm that it is not rated for high pH however I still asked them for an explanation as to what would occur? Seems to me that the worst thing that could happen is that the sensor stops working within a shorter period of time and given its costs and my anticipated use it would almost be worth it to replace it if necessary. I will report back when I hear from them

Discolor the surrounding shield
Erode the e-tape

Two possibilities that come to mind. I know they have been testing in various liquids but it is still on going. That is why the way they did - to be determined.

OP
OP
authentic

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From Neptune
First of which is the residue of calification that would be left on the etap inside the sensor as the kalk level dropped, and this over time would impede the ability to sense the liquid level.
Also of note is the alkaline nature of concentrated kalk that could cause corrosion of electronics.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OEM of eTape (Milone) sells a chemical rated version that has a Teflon jacket.

Perhaps that Teflon jacket is available separately.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OEM of eTape (Milone) sells a chemical rated version that has a Teflon jacket.

Perhaps that Teflon jacket is available separately.

Right but in both cases I've not seen listed what chemicals they are safe in. As noted they have been testing in kalkwasser but of course hobbyists may have different dilutions/strengths.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back