Lobo Splitting?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this lobo for almost the lifetime of my tank. It went in probably too early in the display as it was in during the ugly face of my 350 gallon display. It was a tiny less than 1 inch frag of a lobo from a fellow reefer. It wasn't doing anything in their tank so, they let me have it. Now 3 years later.. I think it's splitting or has a really weird growth pattern... It has grown 2 more loops of flesh in a circular pattern and looks closed up all the time, but, hasn't grown much skeletal support that I can tell. I think this is all good and I think it just needs more time to put down more skeleton as it expands. . .

Here's a before picture from over 2 years ago and from today. I'd say it's added about 3-4 inches in flesh. Maybe an inch or inch and a half per year? Is that normal for a lobo? I adore the coral now because it's growing in such a strange pattern. It's the little lobo that could. . .

Is each droopy section a new mouth? The center is where the old mouth used to be and it's pinched shut by flesh and now it has 3 droopy sections all circular shaped as shown. The original was one round 1/2" to 3/4" circular mouth.
Original:

Lobo20190513.jpg

Now as of today 5/17/2021:
lobo2021.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
each circular section is a separate polyp with its own mouth.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
each circular section is a separate polyp with its own mouth.
That's what I wondered. Wow! That's awesome! So, 2 new mouths in approximately 2 years. Granted the first year was battling nutrients, algae, and aiptasia. The aiptasia is gone, the algae is gone, and the coral was moved to a new place. It must really like it's spot. I'd say the new mouths formed in the last year and half. Question, will the new mouths also form new growth that they each grow 1-2 new mouths each? In another year it could be 6 new mouths? Then 12 and so on, assuming conditions remain right for it.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I wondered. Wow! That's awesome! So, 2 new mouths in approximately 2 years. Granted the first year was battling nutrients, algae, and aiptasia. The aiptasia is gone, the algae is gone, and the coral was moved to a new place. It must really like it's spot. I'd say the new mouths formed in the last year and half. Question, will the new mouths also form new growth that they each grow 1-2 new mouths each? In another year it could be 6 new mouths? Then 12 and so on, assuming conditions remain right for it.

Yes, but it one of those "in theory" type of answers. In reality it can only grow where it has room to grow. So as it gets bigger the heads in the center arent really capable of growing new(healthy) heads because there is no room.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it one of those "in theory" type of answers. In reality it can only grow where it has room to grow. So as it gets bigger the heads in the center arent really capable of growing new(healthy) heads because there is no room.
Good point! I'm hoping I run into that problem that there's a head surrounded by heads. Would be pretty nice looking to see it's growth pattern.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back