Locline Head Loss Tips/Alternatives

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the plumbing stage of my build. I have my whole sump area and overflow chamber plumbed and leak tested. I am going to add a UV sterilizer in the future so I plumbed accordingly. My return line is 1" from the pump to the top of my overflow chamber. There it is supposed to Tee then each side reduces to 1/2". From there each side goes 1/2" female thread to the inside of the overflow, then 1/2" MPT to locline through the overflow. I just ran a flow test with this exact setup by pouring water into the return pump section and having my loclines pointed into a bucket. My Jebao DCP 15000 pushed 550gph+- at max output. This is on the threshold of 3x turnover for my system before the addition of the UV(no elbows needed only adapters to 2" for the Lifegard Aquatics 55w HO Amalgam). My concern is I may want to boost output at some point for dino or something. I just can't go over 2100gph for UV exposure reasons. I then bypassed the loclines by running a 1" 45 and then a 90 to test flow with only 1" line. My gph shot up to 750gph+-.

My thought process is either swap to 3/4" locline on each side or run a diy 1" return system with pvc alone. Problem is that my overflow holes for the 1/2" loclines is too small for the adapter. I am not concerned about tank flow as I will have (2) icecap 4k gyres on the back wall and (2) Jebao RW8s on each side of the tank. 60x24x24 150gallon. So using return flow as just surface agitation is my goal for it.

Here are some pictures of the overflow tank specs and design.
IMG_4500.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

I made this pvc design obviously dry fit to just analyze design possibilities. Can shorten or change anything I want.
IMG_4498.jpg
IMG_4497.jpg

I realize a 1" tee will also reduce flow so I could even order one of these true 120degree wyes to minimize friction/head loss.
TrueY.png

I just cant figure out why locline is so standard now that we don't use return pumps to give us all of our tank flow anymore. We have great powerheads for that now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back