LocLine Leaking

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am having an issue that I cannot find the fix to. My return line is connected by tubing to a bulkhead, then loc line connectors in the tank in an arc to prevent siphoning, which works. but, When I turn my tank off, water continues to drain into the sump very slowly , what could this be caused by? Possibly the loc line leaking somewhere?

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the open end of the loc-line is below the water level it will continue to siphon back.
i thought the arc in the loc line prevented that? The top of the arc is about 1.5 inches above the surface of the water

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought the arc in the loc line prevented that? The top of the arc is about 1.5 inches above the surface of the water

That’s how a siphon works. Negative pressure, otherwise it’s just gravity. I have the corner of a flat style return about 5mm below the water line. It’s at around 45 degree angle. Gets good surface movement without salt creep and breaks the siphon once the pump is off before even coming out of the water.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I spent some more time looking at the tubing and loc line and it seems that I needed to raise the output up slightly as well as the drain. Thank you guys!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back