samnaz’s Long and Shallow Rimless [upgrade in progress]

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@samnaz for future reference, Savko Plastics carries black PVC and fittings. Would save a lot of the painting step, plus the color won't scratch or chip off. Savko Plastics

Glad you toughed out the hard plumbing phase. It came out looking much nicer than vinyl tubing. I think, judging from the rest of detail to your build, you would not have been happy with the tubing.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up.....whew! Sorry for the barrage of “likes”. :)

I think this looks fantastic.......That sump is sick! Kudos to you for doing it all yourself. Power to the Reefer Chicks!!

I can’t wait to see your plans for the scape.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@samnaz
we are 4 now.
How is the tank coming along?

Thank you all for the much needed encouragement. To say myself and this build train has lost steam would be an understatement. I'm easily distracted. Current status - 95% complete and collecting dust. ;Sorry

My current tank has gone to **** (to say the least) which has been disheartening. But the plus side is now I'm no longer terrified for the tank transfer, cause I've already lost many of my favorite corals. Nothing left to lose! ;Dead

I do plan to transfer a few pieces of rock from my current tank to the new one, but randomly out of nowhere clumps of bubble algae have begun popping up in various places amongst the rocks. I'm still uncertain whether or not to attack it now and wait until it's clear before transferring, or to forget the rock and maybe get a couple new pieces of live rock elsewhere.

Again, thanks everyone for hanging on despite lack of updates/progress, and I promise it'll be worth the wait ;-)

Just caught up.....whew! Sorry for the barrage of “likes”. :)

I think this looks fantastic.......That sump is sick! Kudos to you for doing it all yourself. Power to the Reefer Chicks!!

I can’t wait to see your plans for the scape.

Working hard on the scape as we speak... (I won't admit how many hours I've spent on it already) but I think it's gunna be good!

Ps thank you for all the likes follow reefer chick! Happy to have you ;-)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the much needed encouragement. To say myself and this build train has lost steam would be an understatement. I'm easily distracted. Current status - 95% complete and collecting dust. ;Sorry

My current tank has gone to **** (to say the least) which has been disheartening. But the plus side is now I'm no longer terrified for the tank transfer, cause I've already lost many of my favorite corals. Nothing left to lose! ;Dead

I do plan to transfer a few pieces of rock from my current tank to the new one, but randomly out of nowhere clumps of bubble algae have begun popping up in various places amongst the rocks. I'm still uncertain whether or not to attack it now and wait until it's clear before transferring, or to forget the rock and maybe get a couple new pieces of live rock elsewhere.

Again, thanks everyone for hanging on despite lack of updates/progress, and I promise it'll be worth the wait ;-)

Nice update. It will be worth the wait! I have some bubble algae at the moment as well. I added an Emerald Crab and he is eating it, but it is progressing slowly.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef cleaners has emerald crabs they guarantee will snack on bubble algae. Why dont you add some inverts after the initial cycle and let them do the dirty work while nothing is in the tank but rock and sand? Nothing wrong with the European method of cycling for 3 months before slowly starting to stock... and seems like you’ve got the time and have no problem waiting!

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I've put most of my time into assembling the equipment and controller cabinet for beside the tank, but I think I'm going to put that on hold until the tank is up and running. I won't be installing the skimmer until the cycle is complete. I haven't even taken the Tunze Osmolator ATO out of the box, honestly I'm not sure I'll end up using it. I don't mind manually topping off my 20L but then again, this tank will have twice the total water volume. I also have a BRS deluxe media reactor I'm waiting to set up, if I end up needing one. So, the controller cabinet has been sent to the back burner until I'm sure on the equipment I'll be using.

That leaves completing the aquascape, and setting up the Spectrapure Maxcap RODI, and then it's time to get this tank wet. ;Happy

Can you believe I've used TAP WATER for 2+ years? I even bought the RODI unit 2 years ago, never bothered to set it up. Can't wait to see what a difference it will make.

I haven't decided what to use for temperature/heater control but I'm leaning towards Inkbird (unsure which model to get). I'm also in need of a timer for the Kessil H80 refugium light.
Looking for recommendations, please.

On to some photos of what I've been working on....

The most exciting of all, I set up the NanoBox Quad. Let there be light!
IMG_9525.JPG
IMG_9528.JPG
IMG_9507.jpg
IMG_9515.JPG

Added some pipe support clamps (and majorly chipped up my perfect paint job, will fix that later).
IMG_9274.JPG

Got a second MP-10. Why? Because, uh.. why not? Now that I have two MP-10's, I suppose I can ditch the Jebao SW-2 powerhead. It's just soo small though, which I love about it. With such a small tank, the smaller the equipment, the better.
IMG_9132.JPG

Cut the internal overflow box pipes. I was uncertain on exact length so I made a few extras with varying lengths (seen in the corners of the overflow) and I guess we'll see what works best. Had to trim the far left through tank bulkhead, in order to fit a standpipe in the overflow box - tight squeeze in the Modular Marine 1200gph overflow box.
IMG_9267.JPG
IMG_9265.JPG

Finished gluing the return line. Do I have enough unions? :p
IMG_9352.JPG
(that last white one will be painted black)

I mistakenly bought the 1" RFG nozzle and later realized I might not be able to push enough flow for it, so I got the 3/4". Figured I'd try both. So I assembled a couple easy to switch out RFG nozzles using adaptor threaded fittings and a threaded bulkhead.
IMG_9253.jpg

The 3/4" RFG nozzle.
IMG_9245.jpg
IMG_9248.jpg

The 1" RFG nozzle.
IMG_9236.jpg
IMG_9238.jpg

And here's where I'm at with the controller cabinet.
IMG_9276.JPG
IMG_9369.JPG
IMG_9371.jpg

It does have a see-thru plexi door which I will be tinting, to give it the "smoked glass" look. That way the contents will be less noticeable yet still visible.
IMG_9343.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update! The Ink Bird ITC-308 is what I use and it has worked well. 2 heater outlets and 1 for fan/chiller.

EDIT: Just wanted to correct this, there is only one heater outlet. Forgot I used a Y-Splitter. Thanks @samnaz

Last edited:
OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update! The Ink Bird ITC-308 is what I use and it has worked well. 2 heater outlets and 1 for fan/chiller.
Hm, I looked up that model and it appears to only have one outlet for heating and one for cooling. Can you link me to the model you are referring to? I'd like one with multiple heating outlets, and I have no use for a cooling outlet. I assume that'd just be for use with a chiller?

I'm currently debating between these two:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01486LZ5...&pd_rd_r=7836b9e9-3bc1-11e9-b620-a3e971ab8f02

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MB16C3K/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A1RUFFFCQ74BCW&psc=1

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, my mistake. I used a Y splitter on mine. Crap. I have been recommending this and totally forgot I split it myself. Sorry for the bad information @samnaz

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, my mistake. I used a Y splitter on mine. Crap. I have been recommending this and totally forgot I split it myself. Sorry for the bad information @samnaz
Apology not at all necessary - I'm glad we got it all figured out. I placed an order for the inkbird with two heater outlets and an aquarium specific probe. Surely that'll do the job. I really appreciate your help and recommendation.

Sidenote: just out of curiosity... do you run a chiller?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back