Long nose butterfly fish experience?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering one of these for my tank. Never really see many people with them.. anyone keeping these I would appreciate any info regarding hardiness, coral risk and feeding would be appreciated as well as any other interesting information.

Cheers

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never kept one my tank is too small, but totally getting one when i upgrade

from what i can gather they're pretty hardy and coral risk is minimal. i'd be worried about acans and other meaty lps, but i believe even that isn't a guarantee

i don't think they're known aptasia eaters, though. they have that longnose copperband thing, but afaik they're easy to feed, they're in a different family than the copperband chelmon group. they've gotta be one of the more widespread fish in the ocean, if you check out their fishbase page they occur from the eastern coast of africa across the tropics all the way over to central america/mexico

hopefully someone else that has kept one will chime in

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that they can control aiptasia, not sure if it’s through eating or constantly picking. But probably an individual thing hit or miss.

I’m surprised I just don’t see many pics of them in tanks, they are pretty and hardy and widespread like you said so should be easily available.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are somewhat unlikely to eat pest nems. Like the copperband it just isn’t a primary food source in the wild. But they do sometimes eat them. Particularly small ones. They are poor shippers, and only marginally easier than the copperband. They are also a touch less reef safe in my humble opinion. Then compared to other reef questionable butterflies, progenathodes, clemom, and roaops, they don’t have as interesting colors or patterns. And they are generally a little more common. there are a lot of yellow fish that are easier and not a coral risk. So if I’m going to take a gamble on my corals the long nose butterfly drops way down my list.

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I went to a LFS today, the closest one to my home which is an hour away and would you believe there was a long nose butterfly! Looking fat and healthy, perfect size, not shy and scoffed mysis shrimp in front of me. So of course I bought it.

I don’t have coral in my tank yet and will have a number of risky fish, this is ok as fish come first for me. The coral I keep will be what they don’t kill. I’ll keep this thread updated.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept them(Flavissimus)in FOWLR & fish tanks, very hardy. I try to get ones from Hawaii or central pacific, just so they’re not drugged. Most of them prefer frozen foods as their primary foods. Try starting with worms first( bloodworms & blackworms), then other frozen foods. Good luck

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept them(Flavissimus)in FOWLR & fish tanks, very hardy. I try to get ones from Hawaii or central pacific, just so they’re not drugged. Most of them prefer frozen foods as their primary foods. Try starting with worms first( bloodworms & blackworms), then other frozen foods. Good luck

Hi, thanks for the info. Mine is eating mysis quite well and likes the pellets but can get them down as they seem to big to get down it’s tubular mouth. I’m thinking it might eat flakes though as they would be softer. What else do yours eat in your experience?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a long nose in a mixed reef, ate my scans. Beautiful fish though. You are in good shape if it is eating already!

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for the info. Mine is eating mysis quite well and likes the pellets but can get them down as they seem to big to get down it’s tubular mouth. I’m thinking it might eat flakes though as they would be softer. What else do yours eat in your experience?
My butterflies I have kept, I fed frozen mysis, brine, bloodworms, mosquito larvae,polychaete worms,tubifex worms,daphnia, minced clam& squid,finely chopped krill, fish eggs. Basically, frozen foods that were textured(minced, finely chopped, or came already frozen naturally). I feed a wide variety of frozen food, I rotate them daily. Feed them as wide a variety as possible, all your fish will love it

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was eating well (lrs) and not picking any corals.
Model citizen, murdered by my purple tang.
I had him for a few months.
F114D9FD-9736-499B-96C8-1C05C5B7C72F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great fish. Peaceful and great for reaching aptasia with their long snout but not the hardiest of fish and often not long lived in a tank unless WELL ESTABLISHED.
I carried them at my store when I was in business and always a quick seller. I personally had one but made it 7 months.

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the culprit
C52B2C14-7919-409F-A151-ABF5CF809327.jpeg

the answer to your question is on the preceding post (forgot the reply).
Thanks for the info. Beautiful tank btw just from those two pics it looks great don’t be afraid to put up a fts!

I’d say I won’t be adding my purple tang for a good six months yet so should be plenty of time to settle. It seems very settled now already but still early days.

Out of interest how did it get on with your copperband? They look great together. I tried one but unfortunately I couldn’t get it to eat :(

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back