Long term RODI costs

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not have one and I am discussing with the wife. She asked what I consider to be a reasonable question: beyond the initial outlay, what are the long term costs to maintain the system.

We currently purchase 7.5 gallons of RODI water per week, at a weekly cost of ~$8.00, or $32.00 per month. I don’t factor in travel costs, as my LFS is located less than 500 feet from my office and I like to stop by and check out their stock anyway. I regularly test their water and it is consistently 0 TDS.

One of the systems I am considering is a 5 stage system from BRS depicted below, which normally costs ~$300. I understand my water quality plays a role in how long the membranes/filters last, so I measured my tap water TDS at 209. Does anyone have a rough idea what my annual maintenance costs would be?
96FD75BC-86B0-4B4A-9158-628C1410C072.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have never bothered to keep track of maintenance costs on my rodi. Just having the water on hand whenever I need it and not having to rely on someone else to maintain their RO system correctly makes it worth what ever the cost is. I won't trust anyone but myself with rodi water or salt water mix.
If you do end up getting one maybe consider adding a tank and a faucet at your sink so you can have nice clean drinking water. Just tee off before the di resin. My Gal was always complaining about our tap water so she thinks I installed the RO system so she has good drinking water. Win win for everyone.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're only going through 7.5g of RODI per week, it'll pay for itself in less than a year (based on paying $384 per year for RODI, you'll break even in about 7 months).

BRS sells the four filters and DI resin for about 50 dollars (And you won't need to replace everything at once) and the RO membrane for about $50 as well.
If you replaced everything, every 6 months, which you won't, you'd be looking at $200/yr, saving close to $200 over buying RODI from the store. Plus, you have control over the quality.

Other than something breaking (which is uncommon), that's about it. The initial $225 gets you up and running and you probably won't even think about buying filters for close to a year.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it’s more expensive to make your own.
That system is big overkill for your water needs.
An aquatic life 4 stage would make you tons of water, actual 0 TDS stuff, for around $130 bucks from Amazon.
I simply don’t trust my LFS RODI. It’s not 0.
Sometimes, Bob forgets to change the filters.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if you pay $32/month, the rodi is $225, it will take you 7 months to make back your money. Compared to $384/year if continuing to buy it from LFS.

What more logic is required?

You also have the added benefit of not having to lug 70 lbs jugs around, and also being able to make the water and store it if you want at your convenience.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water costs are different around the country as well but in Menomonee Falls Wisconsin its $4.31/1000 gallons. Most rodi units make 1to4 as good as 1to2 good to waste so 8 gallons made would cost $0.33. Another way to save is to add bigger sediment filters and carbon filters before your unit. I have a whole house filtration system and haven’t had to change any filters in over 2 years.

Last edited:

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a similar ballpark TDS and am probably close to, but not quite 2x your usage. I'm not religious about filter changes, but to maintain 0 TDS output, I probably change a sediment filter every 3-4 months, the DI resin every 6-9 months (now probably shorter, since I've moved to dual full sized canisters), my carbon blocks every 9 months or so, and my membranes only after several years - I've got 2+ years on both in my unit.

While I haven't done the math, I'm sure I'm spending less than 1/5th per week than you and I don't have to haul it as far. Also if I need an unusual amount, or on short notice (say, when the store is closed), it's available. It takes some time to recoup the initial investment, but there is no comparison in the long run.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An aquatic life 4 stage would make you tons of water, actual 0 TDS stuff, for around $130 bucks from Amazon.
I am with Uncle on this one. Get a basic RODI, and blow the rest at the fish store.
If ya need more excuses to go to the fish store then don’t get the RO

As for the original question
$160 RODI
$80 filter/resin change 2x
Water bill, is negligible

Amazon or EBay for replacement filters/resin
BRS will gouge your eyes out every chance you give them

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see the question of does your water company use chlorine or chloramines? If its chloramines you will need special filters to remove. I ended up going with a Pentair Pentek 4" x 20" which last a year plus versus a month

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run separate resins as cat ion doesn’t deplete as fast as an ion and i feel it’s a complete waste of money tossing out good cat ion each time if I were to run mixed bed. Just sucks I can’t find anywhere but brs that sells color changing an ion resin. My single canister of an ion lasts about 300 gallons and the cat ion I change about every 6th time I change the an ion so a bag of it lasts a while! I also go through about 20 gallons of rodi a week in my ato reservoirs.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter direct has a great setup for $169. It's a six stage dual output ro+di. Comes with the storage tank and faucet for ro drinking water and a separate output for the rodi aquarium water. Best thing I ever bought!!! Love the drinking water aspect and at 120gpd I make up 50gal of salt water at a time that I store in my blue barrel for water changes. They have good deals on filter replacements, I believe I spend around $50/year on replacing my filters, sediment one gets bad pretty fast for me. Only been a negligible change in the water bill. www.filterdirecr.com and I use the AR125.

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look at this, thx

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter direct has a great setup for $169. It's a six stage dual output ro+di. Comes with the storage tank and faucet for ro drinking water and a separate output for the rodi aquarium water. Best thing I ever bought!!! Love the drinking water aspect and at 120gpd I make up 50gal of salt water at a time that I store in my blue barrel for water changes. They have good deals on filter replacements, I believe I spend around $50/year on replacing my filters, sediment one gets bad pretty fast for me. Only been a negligible change in the water bill. www.filterdirecr.com and I use the AR125.
I’ll look at this as well, thx

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see the question of does your water company use chlorine or chloramines? If its chloramines you will need special filters to remove. I ended up going with a Pentair Pentek 4" x 20" which last a year plus versus a month
I’ll need to check this. Thank you

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquatic life RO buddie 4 stage on amazon is a great deal. $70 for 50gpd. I never had any issues with mine before I upgraded to a bigger unit because I have a larger tank now. Unless you plan on upgrading tanks any time soon it will be more than sufficient for your needs at 7.5g per weeek.

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at that when I was checking out the aquatic life AR125.

I do plan to upgrade—soon as I convince my wife it’s the right think to do.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I track just about everything I can with my system, my cost is $0.32. Half of that is my DI resin at $0.16, but that is a cartridge people don't typically run. If I manipulate the price and use the BRS prepacked mixed bed @ $29.99 my cost per gallon would be $0.15 after rounding. Brings the cost of DI resin to $0.02

Here are my TDS values in PPM.

RO membrane 1:
Avg TDS: 199
Min: 137
Max: 273
Range: 136

RO membrane 2:
Avg TDS: 239
Min: 258
Max: 348
Range: 190

I am trialing significantly more expensive cartridges currently just to see if they are on par with the cheaper alternatives on a cost per gallon basis.

These costs do not include any water charges, this is just consumables. With the cheaper options you could probably be sub $0.10.

My municipality is a flat rate for water under a set volume. I've never gone over in my years of making water, so I ignore that cost since it doesn't matter if I make 300g or 0g. I still pay the same base fee for usage.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I track just about everything I can with my system, my cost is $0.32. Half of that is my DI resin at $0.16, but that is a cartridge people don't typically run. If I manipulate the price and use the BRS prepacked mixed bed @ $29.99 my cost per gallon would be $0.15 after rounding. Brings the cost of DI resin to $0.02

Here are my TDS values in PPM.

RO membrane 1:
Avg TDS: 199
Min: 137
Max: 273
Range: 136

RO membrane 2:
Avg TDS: 239
Min: 258
Max: 348
Range: 190

I am trialing significantly more expensive cartridges currently just to see if they are on par with the cheaper alternatives on a cost per gallon basis.

These costs do not include any water charges, this is just consumables. With the cheaper options you could probably be sub $0.10.

My municipality is a flat rate for water under a set volume. I've never gone over in my years of making water, so I ignore that cost since it doesn't matter if I make 300g or 0g. I still pay the same base fee for usage.

Clarification on my costs, that's if I replaced all my filters with where they are at currently in their lifecycle. None of them are actually due for replacement, so my costs will continue to drop as I produce more water over the coming months.

Even though at $0.32 you are still at least half as cheap as most LFS stores if not more.

There are a few LFS around me with varying prices. The most expensive is $1.25 and the cheapest I've had is $0.50

But even using your price of $8.00 for 7.5g that comes to $1.07 after rounding. Even using something expensive and half of the usable life your still $0.75 cheaper or a savings of ~70%.

Your actual cost will vary with the filters used, their variable life, and cost of water which I ignore as stated above.

Last edited:

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ran the numbers with the more expensive BRS options. You'd be at ~$0.16

With the cheaper options you'd be closer to ~$0.13

For future reference this is with current (07/13/2023) prices and ignoring the cost of water and just looking at the cost of consumable filters over 500g of use. Actual usage may be more or less depending on your local water quality and requirements/number of filters.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back