Long term RODI costs

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it’s more expensive to make your own.
That system is big overkill for your water needs.
An aquatic life 4 stage would make you tons of water, actual 0 TDS stuff, for around $130 bucks from Amazon.
I simply don’t trust my LFS RODI. It’s not 0.
Sometimes, Bob forgets to change the filters.
Agree, I have that exact unit, and doing 20% water changes initially, to now doing 5% changes, I'm nowhere near what that unit can make..I think it will produce almost 3,000 gallons before filters need replaced..I'm nowhere near that , had it for 1.5 years.. it can make 100GPD, so for the price it's unbeatable.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Significantly more than water. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Depending on Brand...Instant Ocean Reef Crystals can be found at Petsmart for $40 for a 5 gallon bucket...it's all I use, and even if in store it says $80, show them online prices and they match it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I currently do not have one and I am discussing with the wife. She asked what I consider to be a reasonable question: beyond the initial outlay, what are the long term costs to maintain the system.

We currently purchase 7.5 gallons of RODI water per week, at a weekly cost of ~$8.00, or $32.00 per month. I don’t factor in travel costs, as my LFS is located less than 500 feet from my office and I like to stop by and check out their stock anyway. I regularly test their water and it is consistently 0 TDS.

One of the systems I am considering is a 5 stage system from BRS depicted below, which normally costs ~$300. I understand my water quality plays a role in how long the membranes/filters last, so I measured my tap water TDS at 209. Does anyone have a rough idea what my annual maintenance costs would be?
96FD75BC-86B0-4B4A-9158-628C1410C072.jpeg
I dont keep track as I know its cheaper than purchasing water that not always good (if you test it) and replace cartridges as needed which is 2-3X per year. What I appreciate is the convenience of water at my fingertips when needed, as needed. I run two sets- One for my mixing station and the other for RO water only.

1689375985494.png

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I currently do not have one and I am discussing with the wife. She asked what I consider to be a reasonable question: beyond the initial outlay, what are the long term costs to maintain the system.

We currently purchase 7.5 gallons of RODI water per week, at a weekly cost of ~$8.00, or $32.00 per month. I don’t factor in travel costs, as my LFS is located less than 500 feet from my office and I like to stop by and check out their stock anyway. I regularly test their water and it is consistently 0 TDS.

One of the systems I am considering is a 5 stage system from BRS depicted below, which normally costs ~$300. I understand my water quality plays a role in how long the membranes/filters last, so I measured my tap water TDS at 209. Does anyone have a rough idea what my annual maintenance costs would be?
96FD75BC-86B0-4B4A-9158-628C1410C072.jpeg
his is an impossible question to answer as it be unique to you depending on how dirty your water is and what you pay for water. For example o have 40 dollars a month in bs fees regardless of how much water I use. My actual water consumption only cost me about 9 dollars a month. I probably refil my di resin every 3 months and my other filters yearly. I would say 150 a year on the high side.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI is one of those things that is has a very fast ROI, especially if you buy it before filling your tank.

I have this same system. At the rate you’re using it you’ll need to replace the filters and resin about once a year, so about $60/year going forward.

IMO the only reason to not get a RODI system is if you flatly don’t have anywhere to keep it and it’s not worth the hassle to you to store it when not in use.

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI is one of those things that is has a very fast ROI, especially if you buy it before filling your tank.

I have this same system. At the rate you’re using it you’ll need to replace the filters and resin about once a year, so about $60/year going forward.

IMO the only reason to not get a RODI system is if you flatly don’t have anywhere to keep it and it’s not worth the hassle to you to store it when not in use.
Thx, this is fairly close to what I estimated.

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s just part of the initial cost of operating a system. Just do it bro. U won’t regret it. Water when u need and as much as u can gpd store.
Oh, I’m getting it. My wife just had questions why I was planning to spend more on the tank. I put some figures on paper, based on the input I got here, added a risk factor and showed her how it starts paying for itself in less than a year. She’s already planning on how to spend all the money we‘ll save.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll need to check this. Thank you
According to their water reports they use chloramines in the water and hit it heavy once a year with chlorine "to clean the pipes out". The cleaning usually lasts a few weeks when they do it in my area. Check out the local facebook groups. There are always RODI units for sale on them. Since you have chloramines I would go with a 2 carbon block setup so it will take care of them. There isn't really a need to get dedicated filters for it. Good quality carbon blocks will work just fine. Personally I would stay away from the non-conforming RO units since you are then required to buy the filters from them and they are always a lot more than the normal generic ones. Over here in the Frisco area my tds is 400 to 450 and I change my regular filters about once a year. Not sure on DI but it usually goes close to a year. RO membrane will go 5+ years if the other filters are changed when needed.

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to their water reports they use chloramines in the water and hit it heavy once a year with chlorine "to clean the pipes out". The cleaning usually lasts a few weeks when they do it in my area. Check out the local facebook groups. There are always RODI units for sale on them. Since you have chloramines I would go with a 2 carbon block setup so it will take care of them. There isn't really a need to get dedicated filters for it. Good quality carbon blocks will work just fine. Personally I would stay away from the non-conforming RO units since you are then required to buy the filters from them and they are always a lot more than the normal generic ones. Over here in the Frisco area my tds is 400 to 450 and I change my regular filters about once a year. Not sure on DI but it usually goes close to a year. RO membrane will go 5+ years if the other filters are changed when needed.
Now I don’t feel so bad about my 209 TDS. I sent an email to Lake Cities Municipal Utility Authority regarding chloramines/chlorine.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s just part of the initial cost of operating a system. Just do it bro. U won’t regret it. Water when u need and as much as u can gpd store.
This...totally agree!

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all.

I was able make a fair estimate based on the inputs provided an answer the question.

I was already sold on the need for one, I just needed answer my wife’s concerns.

Now it’s time to do some RODI shopping.
Don't know if you have already made up your mind on a specific brand, but I'd just like to throw Spectrapure out there. Huge fan of them and have been using their systems for a long time. They produce great systems and their customer support when needed is always spot on.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back