LongFin Ocellaris dents in side of head

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks rather typical of the deformities you see in a lot of the really inbred clownfish. Nothing that will cause it harm, but it may have a weird look even as it grows.
As a side note, the fish is a little thin, so fattening it up a bit may help too.

OP
OP
dadnjesse

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is new, I bought it from Dr reef. It was supposed to ship then he sent me a message that it didn't pass his Quarentine. A week later he shipped it. That also has me concered that the fish didn't pass the first time

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sebae with dents on each side of his head also.

Attachments

• IMG_7434.jpeg
    IMG_7434.jpeg
    614.7 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
dadnjesse

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed 3 times a day, usually Mysis but since Feb 8th when I recieved him I have tried pellets and flake. He would take a bite of Mysis and then spit it out, I figured he was eating a piece and spitting the rest out but he hasn't done that in 2 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3 times a day, usually Mysis but since Feb 8th when I recieved him I have tried pellets and flake. He would take a bite of Mysis and then spit it out, I figured he was eating a piece and spitting the rest out but he hasn't done that in 2 days.

That's not a good sign; the fish must have some internal problem that is keeping it from eating normally. Can you get live baby brine shrimp to try that?

Maybe try cutting the mysids into smaller pieces to see if it will eat those?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried baby brine shrimp he's still not eating. he now has a string of some sort hanging on him

IMG_6723.JPG IMG_6724.JPG IMG_6725.JPG IMG_6726.JPG IMG_6727.JPG

O.K., the string is mucus. That can come from starvation of the fish itself (as has been noted, this clown is REALLY thin). It can also be caused by internal protozoan infections, such as Hexamita. Trouble is, the best treatment for that would be an oral medication, and of course that won't work in a fish that isn't eating.

I'm really sorry, but there is not likely to be a good outcome here. If you have a treatment tank, you could trying dosing the water with Metroplex, the fish may absorb enough of that to treat any internal protozoans.

Jay

OP
OP
dadnjesse

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I moved him to another spare tank I had and ordered some metroplex. Although it will be another two days before that comes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved him to another spare tank I had and ordered some metroplex. Although it will be another two days before that comes.

Ugh - shipping time can really affect the outcome with these severe issues, but fingers crossed!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back