Longnose Hawkfish with Cleaner Shrimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter redsea01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

redsea01

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2015
Messages
355
Reaction score
343
Location
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So I have had a longnose with two Cleaner shrimp for a while now. The longnose is fairly small. Anyways I'm curious as to your opinion on whether I will have issues in the future, when the hawk grows? I've heavily researched this, and always see two answers:
1. "I have both and they're fine"
2. The hawk will eventually eat the shrimp
HOWEVER, I have yet to see one post where someone says that have had a longnose that actually ate their cleaners. Are there any documented cases? Any experience? Thanks so much!! :)
 
From what I read and heard, each fish have their own personality. For example, some angels nip corals and some will never touch them. You might have a good chance if your shrimp is good size and hawkfish is fairly small.
 
I've had two fire shrimp about 2" each living with my 2.5" long nosed hawk for about 9 months and everybody gets along; have not seen any signs of aggression or predation. Not sure if this relationship extends to cleaner shrimp - assume you are talking about Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
 
I've had two fire shrimp about 2" each living with my 2.5" long nosed hawk for about 9 months and everybody gets along; have not seen any signs of aggression or predation. Not sure if this relationship extends to cleaner shrimp - assume you are talking about Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Yes, I am indeed talking about Lysmata amboinensis. :)
 
Ic am in camp 1. I've had some longnoses get huge in a tank with cleaner shrimp and never be a problem.
 
I wouldn't sweat it with the shrimp you have now but down the road when it's bigger it might gobble up a small one if you add one to small. I had a square back anthias choke down a baby fire shrimp as fast it hit the water once. I was amazed at how big his mouth was.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new