Longnose hawkfish yawning?

TerrorTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed since I got my longnose hawkfish about 4 month ago that he tends to open his mouth like he’s yawning. I tried to get a picture of it for like an hour but of course now he won’t do it. Is this just a thing they do or should I be concerned.

image.jpg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed since I got my longnose hawkfish about 4 month ago that he tends to open his mouth like he’s yawning. I tried to get a picture of it for like an hour but of course now he won’t do it. Is this just a thing they do or should I be concerned.

image.jpg
Fish don’t sleep, they just rest. So I bet it’s something else. Following.

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Longnose yawns several times a day. Maybe he is bored of me watching him all day. Unless there are other symptoms this is nothing to worry about.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

image.jpg
While they tend to do yhis, it can also be a sign of gill flukes.
If its eating normal and breathing normal rate and not rapid, may not be a concern but see how often you are seeing this behavior.

OP
OP
TerrorTurtle

TerrorTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they tend to do yhis, it can also be a sign of gill flukes.
If its eating normal and breathing normal rate and not rapid, may not be a concern but see how often you are seeing this behavior.
He’s eating great. I’m not seeing any issues with breathing either. He does it randomly throughout the day. I see it maybe about 4 times through the day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He’s eating great. I’m not seeing any issues with breathing either. He does it randomly throughout the day. I see it maybe about 4 times through the day.
Assure good water quality which contributes to health and available oxygen, focusing on ammonia and nitrate levels with a Reliable test kit especially if a newer tank. Adding an air stone assures sufficient oxygen is furnished within the system.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back