Look at this sexy piece of equipment i scored today

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this baby up from a fellow member here for $150 bucks. Can't wait to tune it in

20191108_144440.jpg

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are these so expensive if they are not like the aquarium plant reg? Are they able to fine tune bubbles the same way but with no electronic component, and stay tuned?

Aquarium Plants unit is not a regulator. It's a solenoid on a timer, that you hook up to a regulator.

The regulator in this picture is so good, that you would be doing a disservice to it and your system by adding an AP regulator to it. For this setup, the precision metering/needle valve does what the AP unit is needed for on cheaper/less reliable regulators....This setup will last twenty years, and along with a quality continuous duty peristaltic pump is the most bulletproof dosing setup that can be owned by a hobbyist.

Yes, with this you can fine tune the bubbles with no electronics to corrode/fail.

:)

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Plants unit is not a regulator. It's a solenoid on a timer, that you hook up to a regulator.

The regulator in this picture is so good, that you would be doing a disservice to it and your system by adding an AP regulator to it. For this setup, the precision metering/needle valve does what the AP unit is needed for on cheaper/less reliable regulators....This setup will last twenty years, and along with a quality continuous duty peristaltic pump is the most bulletproof dosing setup that can be owned by a hobbyist.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s pretty nice, expensive but nice. I have never had a problem with any decent regulators lasting a long time though. If it can fine tune like the ap and not have to be touched again later then that is something in itself! I am about to build my new reactor so maybe I will look into finding a nicer reg to go with it since I will have to get one. Nothing wrong with the ap on a decent reg though.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s pretty nice, expensive but nice. I have never had a problem with any decent regulators lasting a long time though. If it can fine tune like the ap and not have to be touched again later then that is something in itself! I am about to build my new reactor so maybe I will look into finding a nicer reg to go with it since I will have to get one. Nothing wrong with the ap on a decent reg though.

The issue with the ap regulator is the solenoid is what is keeping the adjustments where you need them by firing off and on constantly. Eventually this could lead to a failure. With the custom 2 stage regulators, once you have them set properly the ph controller is just a redundant fail safe and you will hardly ever have the solenoid shut off. It stays where u need it and keeps your reactor ph rock solid.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use a controller with the ap much safer to just have it on. I am just amazed a needle valve can give the same accuracy as the ap will. If so that’s just one less thing to worry about failing and a huge plus for me with this system I am running it as simple as possible.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The AP solenoid is a good unit and many have had success using it - my comment probably sounded like it was a dig.

A quality 2-stage regulator is simply on another level.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back