Look what my Petco has!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive talked to my fish area supervisor many times at my local petco, trying to get them to get a frag tank set up. But apparently they have levels in their salt water care, and this is related to training classes and certs that the individual has. This level they have dictates what they can and cant order, and if they are allowed to have a frag specific tank. Once they are at the highest level, they can actually get some pretty cool stuff in. Its just convincing the fish person to get the necessary trainings done.

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. I've been buying a bunch of my reefing salt from Petsmart for the last few years.
They carry Fritz, IO, and RC brand salts and have some pretty good sales. Like right now.

Right now you can get Fritz for under $40/bucket and IO for under $30/bucket.

(3) buckets of IO are $85 plus tax right now.
Ours doesn't sell anything marine related. Well, maybe Instant Ocean salt....maybe

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have a petco with a good saltwater section, you can get a steal on corals if you pay attention. I got a 6 headed torch for 80 dollars, and a 4 headed hammer for 70. They get pretty nice nems in too. Bubble tips are average priced at 50 each, but the carpets they get can be really nice, and theyre only 60.
I got a HUGE (compared to my LFS) bubble tip for $50!!!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell sw related items its all dry goods. Some of the cheapest slat prices is petsmart.
Yup. All of the Petsmarts local to me sell salt, additives and other dry goods. Just no fish or anything like that.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a HUGE (compared to my LFS) bubble tip for $50!!!
My LFS has the audacity to literally get BTA from a guy I know, he gets 30 dollars store credit for each, They are just standard RBTA, nothing special. And they re sell these things for 205 a pop. Its the most ridiculous thing ive ever seen from a LFS.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has the audacity to literally get BTA from a guy I know, he gets 30 dollars store credit for each, They are just standard RBTA, nothing special. And they re sell these things for 205 a pop. Its the most ridiculous thing ive ever seen from a LFS.
If people didn't buy them at that price point they wouldn't sell them at that price point. It's only worth what a person is willing to pay

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people didn't buy them at that price point they wouldn't sell them at that price point. It's only worth what a person is willing to pay
Oh I agree for sure, I just feel bad that people could buy all the bta's they want on here or even any FB group for less than 50 each. I consider that highway robbery lol. Its not as bad, but close to it, they charge 60 a piece for "ultra" rock flowers, and they got some bigger ones than normal in, and they listed them as "premium ultra" and want 105 each for a rock flower. Thats taking advantage of uneducated reefers.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. I've been buying a bunch of my reefing salt from Petsmart for the last few years.
They carry Fritz, IO, and RC brand salts and have some pretty good sales. Like right now.

Right now you can get Fritz for under $40/bucket and IO for under $30/bucket.

(3) buckets of IO are $85 plus tax right now.
WOW!
Thanks for the hot tip. I might stock up, my strategic salt reserve is down to one 25 gallon bag!

If people don't support their LFS, then eventually large corporate chain pet mills will be the only option. Then you will pay $99.00 for a frag of GSP that might not make it home in the bag. :(

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I agree for sure, I just feel bad that people could buy all the bta's they want on here or even any FB group for less than 50 each. I consider that highway robbery lol. Its not as bad, but close to it, they charge 60 a piece for "ultra" rock flowers, and they got some bigger ones than normal in, and they listed them as "premium ultra" and want 105 each for a rock flower. Thats taking advantage of uneducated reefers.
Welcome to capitalism!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!
Thanks for the hot tip. I might stock up, moc strategic salt reserve is down to one 25 gallon bag!

If people don't support their LFS, then eventually large corporate chain pet mills will be the only option. Then you will pay $99.00 for a frag of GSP that might not make it home in the bag. :(
Local hobbiest keep that in check trades and such.
Petsmart and chewy are great places to order I find petco not very competitive in the salt market.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went to petco today. . .

they had a Niger Trigger and some other cool stuff. . .

14D33C9D-95D4-4A53-9FDA-B018C9345405.jpeg

also is this a flower pot coral?

469F9162-760D-4907-B28C-8E98230F51F1.jpeg

Wife wouldn’t let me get anything. . . something about “paying the mortgage”

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sells them for $300! Which is weird because I had a fellow reefer give me two because they spilt like clockwork. I gave him a mushroom and a zoa frag even though he didn't ask. So I got one and then a couple months later he gave me another. Now I just looked in the back of my tank and there is another. I will let one go at half the price of my LFS...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back