Look what my Petco has!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few at petco and now a pair is breeding! This is some of their brood.
FreeAtLast-091522.gif
How long did you have them before they spit out their babies ?

hearing for years they are easy to breed , I’ve tried numerous times but similar to chromis they always end with only 1 shortly after acclimating .
The last time I bought a pair that was swimming together in the lfs.
Added them to my system and they both went to separate ends of the tank .

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few at petco and now a pair is breeding! This is some of their brood.
FreeAtLast-091522.gif
Saw your thread on all your Bangaii babies -- that's flippin' awesome.
Hijacking here but, for those of us just wanting a couple with no intention of breeding, is two a good number,,, three better?
(I would not be able to figure out which were male/female so that part would just be luck of the draw)

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local petco charges a premium for fish now. I shop either online or lfs now. $90 for a scopas tang that looked like it had hlle and a 1” hippo tang for $130. :rolleyes:

I buy dry goods and simple things from them.

I did see a yellow tang at one in another city. That was cool.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local PetCo has a bunch of Bengaii Cardinals for $20 right now. (Murrieta, CA)
Thinking about going for a couple and trying Hybrid TTM for the first time but still wavering.
*this PetCo seems to do a good job with saltwater and I actually bought my first inverts and fish, plus (aquacultured) live rock there before I knew ANYTHING (no QT) -- never had a problem but assume I just got lucky.

PetCo_Bengaii.jpeg
Just wait till they go on sale again. I just bought three at the end of last month for $16 ea. They will have another sale soon. They always do.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't think that lines up with store prices. Mine had some Wyomings and they were $120 I believe and it says $90 online.
FYI, They honor their online prices at their brick and mortar stores. I do it all the time.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is the gratuitous-baby-cardinalfish-thread.

I had them for a few months before they started spawning. From what I remember I started with 6. 2 pair split off the rest went moribund. One of the other pair died from bullying and then the other went moribund a little while after. Then I saw the male holding and counted the weeks before I stripped him african cichlid style.

I also got two Blue Hippo Tangs from a Petco for $35. They had HLLE so bad one was completely clear and missing all his fins and a gill flap. The other wasn't too far behind. I talked with the manager about calling corporate to ask if he could discount them on account that no one would buy them in their state; he did and I was hooked up. I got lucky with dips and good diet they're doing much better now.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the gratuitous-baby-cardinalfish-thread.

I had them for a few months before they started spawning. From what I remember I started with 6. 2 pair split off the rest went moribund. One of the other pair died from bullying and then the other went moribund a little while after. Then I saw the male holding and counted the weeks before I stripped him african cichlid style.

I also got two Blue Hippo Tangs from a Petco for $35. They had HLLE so bad one was completely clear and missing all his fins and a gill flap. The other wasn't too far behind. I talked with the manager about calling corporate to ask if he could discount them on account that no one would buy them in their state; he did and I was hooked up. I got lucky with dips and good diet they're doing much better now.
Does this mean you bought 6 Bangaii cardinals from PetCo and you have 2 left (one pair)?
Just curious...
*also, did you do any type of QT on them when you bought them (medicated/TTM/etc)?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I did three rounds of prazi on them. was going to copper but they were in great shape so I promoted them to the DT.

I should have pulled the moribund ones and put back into QT. They may have snaped out of it.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a Blue Tang and a Raccoon that were on their death beds. The Raccoon got adopted out and the Blue Tang's HLLE is almost completely gone. It took 3 weeks to get that blue tang away from them, they actually shipped it to another store. They really have no protocols in place to help sick fish.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, They honor their online prices at their brick and mortar stores. I do it all the time.
Yeah but online they have different sizes on fish to. They can just say its a large species and charge more. Petco was a good deal but not anymore.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but online they have different sizes on fish too. They can just say it’s a large species and charge more. Petco was a good deal but not anymore.
They can but, you can also make your case as to why it’s not a large specimen if it really isn’t. Just sayin, you probably could have walked away with a great deal.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People bag on petco but like someone said before, they’re just like a LFS, some good some bad, I got a neon dottyback from my local petco and he’s super healthy and super fat. Albeit, I’m lucky that my petco employees people who care about their aquatic department.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but online they have different sizes on fish too. They can just say it’s a large species and charge more. Petco was a good deal but not anymore.
I don’t really trust (let alone rely on) Online prices. This is due to how in an LFS the price will be accurate. Online, that price could be from 2008, it may not be the price they’d want now.
We don’t have Petco in the UK but we have a similar situation with a chain of fish stores that are notoriously bad (Maiden Head Aquatics) and although their prices can be rather wild, the majority of them are actually really good - I once found a healthy 2 inch Multicolor Angel for £98, in my LFS multicolors can go for close to £200.
P.S. If I had the tank, I would’ve snagged it but now I have a 3’x16”x1’ tank I can’t find a multicolor anywhere.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back