Gratuitous Baby Cardinalfish thread

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This thread is for video and photos of the 12 baby cardinalfish I've been graced with. As per request, plenty of feeding videos!
Some images of the parents and the fry in the bucket right after I stripped the male. I knew he was ready by looking for fry in his mouth whenever I was near the tank. I didn't have bbs ready so I put my copepod hotel in. The fry split-up evenly between the two decorations.

IMG_0450.JPEG IMG_0449.JPEG IMG_0438.JPEG IMG_0648.JPEG IMG_0649.JPEG IMG_0650.JPEG IMG_0652.JPEG IMG_0655.JPEG IMG_0654.JPEG

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH. M.Y. G.O.S.H. Their big eyes and their little bodies are so adorable!!!!!!
Hold On Lol GIF by NBC

I watched the second video 5 times hahaha

Thank you for making a dedicated thread. I'd love to watch them develop and know how you are raising them. So far you have made the whole process seem easy. Is that because you have experience raising Cichlids or is it more difficult than it appears?

Most importantly, has your wife seen them yet?!?!?!

SHINYSuccubus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for video and photos of the 12 baby cardinalfish I've been graced with. As per request, plenty of feeding videos!
Some images of the parents and the fry in the bucket right after I stripped the male. I knew he was ready by looking for fry in his mouth whenever I was near the tank. I didn't have bbs ready so I put my copepod hotel in. The fry split-up evenly between the two decorations.

IMG_0450.JPEG IMG_0449.JPEG IMG_0438.JPEG IMG_0648.JPEG IMG_0649.JPEG IMG_0650.JPEG IMG_0652.JPEG IMG_0655.JPEG IMG_0654.JPEG
this almost gave me a cuteness overload stroke!!!

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks! I had a lot of experience with this from my cichlid days - I would strip the females so my tank wouldn't be inundated with fish. I liked watching the mating behaviors so I didn't go all male tank...

These little guys are beyond cute in person... Unfortunately the tank is on the bottom level of a shelf... I find myself laying on my workshop floor getting all sawdusty watching these little guys. I may or may not have passed-out there for a bit yesterday.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m intrigued, has anyone ever attempted to replicate their wild habitat? Where juveniles will hide in the spines of long spine urchins to hide from predators, remaining in groups to hide more.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m intrigued, has anyone ever attempted to replicate their wild habitat? Where juveniles will hide in the spines of long spine urchins to hide from predators, remaining in groups to hide more.
Do you mean instead of the fake urchins he has, use live urchins?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've seen a post here on R2R where someone didn't know their male was carrying then they see a bunch of babies hanging out with their log-spine urchin.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a post here on R2R where someone didn't know their male was carrying then they see a bunch of babies hanging out with their log-spine urchin.
This is what I’m interested in! Is if anyone has ever intentionally had a separate tank with babies and a long spine urchin in and see how they behave and whether it’s different or similar to the wild.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So do they hatch fully formed? Or do they take a week or so to develop their shape?
Fully formed. They were stripped into the white bucket in the first round of photos.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back