Looking for a fuzzy dwarf lionfish and info.

swalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past month or so I have really fallen in love with the saltwater aquarium hobby, but mostly the fuzzy dwarf lion, soon I will be purchasing the biocube 32 and starting the cycle, I have been told that this will be a large enough tank for 1 fuzzy dwarf and a few tankmates. What knowledge I am in need of is as listed. 1, where can I find a fuzzy dwarf (preferably a red/yellow mix). 2, what can I do to help the lionfish's possible temperament, and how to convert him to frozen. 3, what else could go in the tank with the lion, I always see "anything bigger than the mouth of the lion" but I would greatly appreciate any specific recommendations. Thanks in advance to all who respond.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally they're hardy, if introduced correctly. It will most likely eat anything half as large as it, and it will, IME, eat ANYTHING. No joke.
Awesome fish, once all is said and done!

OP
OP
S

swalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again, do you know any reputable websites to buy the lion off of, I have 2 local shops that can ship but I would like to see the little guy before I get him cause like stated above I'm looking for a yellowish red one

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again, do you know any reputable websites to buy the lion off of, I have 2 local shops that can ship but I would like to see the little guy before I get him cause like stated above I'm looking for a yellowish red one
Call diver den / liveaquaria.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diver's Den is going to be your best bet if you're looking for a specific color. You could wind up with a real "Plain Jane" if you go through LA. Try to look around at WYSIWYG sites.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a yellow fuzzy years ago, he was awesome... got him from Divers Den. He was already "full grown" and never did convert over to frozen. Keeping up with the demands on live fish can be time consuming, go ahead an plan to buy a small tank to keep feeder fish, nothing fancy. that'll keep you from needing to run to the LFS every couple of days.

Lots of info on lionfishlair!

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at yellows at ibluewater but really don't know anything about them. Maybe someone hear has dealt with them. Read a thread where they sent someone the wrong black dog faced puffer but refunded them.

One also popped up at Blue zoo a week or two ago. I've had good experiences with them.

OP
OP
S

swalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might go check that out if it's still available, do you know the price

OP
OP
S

swalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of feeder fish should I get, I have an old 10 gallon tank if that could be used

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a dwarf lion tank and and I feed them live, my 1st fuzzy was a rescue and never took to dead. After years my other lions will eat dead but I feed them live because I like the enrichment it adds to their life. I advise anyone interested in a fuzzy to be prepared and willing to feed live food forever, or do no get him; it's never a 100% guarantee they will eat dead food.

As far as a yellow goes, they don't come around that often; I would only trust Divers Den or Blue Zoo or one of the well recognized vendors on this board with a wysiwyg offering. iBluewater I would not trust, that's a stock photo that has been up forever and just recently a member here got a pair of stellatus puffers sold as black dog face puffers.

Here's my latest guy.

004.jpg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was at Unique Aquaria in Tewkesbury MA. I do believe they had 3-4 of the red and yellow mix that you are looking for. They were under some high blue LEDs in a frag tank. So I can't be 100% sure about the colors. I know they have been there for at least 4 weeks. This guy is the best in New England IMO. Give them a call or I will text him tomorrow and ask for the price and pics of them and try to help you out.
If you happen to look them up. They are not closed. They just moved shop back in October.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

swalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up unique aquaria to see if I could find a website but sadly had no luck

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was at Unique Aquaria in Tewkesbury MA. I do believe they had 3-4 of the red and yellow mix that you are looking for. They were under some high blue LEDs in a frag tank. So I can't be 100% sure about the colors. I know they have been there for at least 4 weeks. This guy is the best in New England IMO. Give them a call or I will text him tomorrow and ask for the price and pics of them and try to help you out.
If you happen to look them up. They are not closed. They just moved shop back in October.

Where are they located now?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still in Tewksbury. I don't know why he has not updated anything online about location. The store is now downstairs in his house. He must be content with his loyal customers now.
Does he have hours or is it by appointment only?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back