OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida Fighting Conchs are amazing! (Sea Hares, too— but seem to croak after a year.)
I've just added one a cpl weeks ago. He took a while before he came out but now he just started to crawl out during feedings so I'm happy with that. I've also had Ferdinand my cave goby for a while that moves the sand around but thats only in his man cave lol. It might be my lighting that I need to adjust bc everyday I turn the sand over and then the next day like clock work I can see tiny little algae growing again. Its an ongoing battle but I will be victorious one day.

Attachments

• 20210109_202525.jpg
    20210109_202525.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 49

maugustine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go traditional suction vac. no electric.
What’s a good.. non electronic cleaner for the sand? I am short.. need a step stool to vacuum the sand. The one I have sucks up all the sand.. I am looking for something easy to use that is good at not sucking up the sand but can get all the poo and stuff in the sand.. there’s 50 On Amazon with such varying reviews..

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain.....I have never felt so short in my life until this tank..
On my big tank, it's 3ft high on a 4ft high stand, so, it's well above my head. I ended up building a platform on the back of it, so I climb a ladder to get up there, and then I can actually work on it.

I will admit though, the nice thing about that is that you are never looking into the tank, and down at the top of the waterline. The waterline is always above your head, which IMHO makes the tank much nicer to view. Just way harder to work on.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 blue dot sand sifting gobies keep my sand white lol. There's other gobies but these stay low to the sand so they don't spit the sand all over corals had a bad experience with a Bella goby that would do that.

maugustine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 blue dot sand sifting gobies keep my sand white lol. There's other gobies but these stay low to the sand so they don't spit the sand all over corals had a bad experience with a Bella goby that would do that.
I am still mourning having to take my dragon gobiy and we home him.. he was Cool but really started destroying my corals with sand unfortunately.. thx so much! I just added a dot tail blenny.. wonder if he will fight with a dot tail gobie thx for your response!

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a good.. non electronic cleaner for the sand? I am short.. need a step stool to vacuum the sand. The one I have sucks up all the sand.. I am looking for something easy to use that is good at not sucking up the sand but can get all the poo and stuff in the sand.. there’s 50 On Amazon with such varying reviews..

Laifoo Aquarium Vacuum Gravel Cleaner Fish Tank Cleaner Washer Siphon Water Change.​

this is an ultra slim one. i have a 32g and remove 5 gallons during vac once a week. if u do a larger tank get the wider one

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm including the date I purchased so you can see that I have had this one for a good while. It's not ideal, but if I had to buy another electric powered vacuum this would be it.
I found the key is to invest in silicone tubing to run from the output to your sump, or 5-gal bucket, or cheap canister filter for a catch basin.
I've done water changes, cleaned a big 110 hex acrylic and frequently mop the bottom of 30" tall 90-gals with this thing. It has a second extension to the clear suction tube that makes it work well in tall tanks.

1612309458214.png

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a clean up crew sand sifters certain gobies my blue dot Bobbie keeps my sand white. Also small conchs . look it up.
I've seen blue spot blennies or blue dot sleeper gobies, but I just googled "blue dot bobbie" and all I get are pictures of polka dot underwear haha

Dave_buffalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there reefers,
Since I bought my 70 gallon cube I've been using a manual sand cleaner which is difficult because my tank is pretty tall, a little over 5' tall. I'm looking for an electric sand cleaner and most of the ones that I found online like the Hyger and Boxtech look like they say they are for gravel and substrate and i am afraid that they wont work with my sandbed. I have the typical Caribsea Fiji pink grain sand (i believe it says the grain size is between 0.5-1.5mm). Will these cleaners work with my sandbed?? Or do you guys have any other good recommendations for a reliable electric sand cleaner that is safe for me to use on sand not gravel? I was also recently looking at this one by Ehiem. I will put the link for it below. Thanks in advance for your picks.

Check this out at Amazon EHEIM Quick Vac Pro Automatic Gravel Cleaner and Sludge

Screenshot_20210119-022536_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I had this for a couple years, and it did collect some debris in the mesh, but for the most part, I think it just gave the illusion that it was cleaning the sand, because it ended up sifting the sand. It died after a couple years, and I'd like to find something better.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 6’ 4” and I use this when I need to reach in the tank. Also I use a Turkey Baster, with a plastic hose click clamp on it, to clean my mixed media deep sand beds, in my 120 and 65. https://a.co/d/chpvE5F

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back