Looking for a good electric *SAND* cleaner

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there reefers,
Since I bought my 70 gallon cube I've been using a manual sand cleaner which is difficult because my tank is pretty tall, a little over 5' tall. I'm looking for an electric sand cleaner and most of the ones that I found online like the Hyger and Boxtech look like they say they are for gravel and substrate and i am afraid that they wont work with my sandbed. I have the typical Caribsea Fiji pink grain sand (i believe it says the grain size is between 0.5-1.5mm). Will these cleaners work with my sandbed?? Or do you guys have any other good recommendations for a reliable electric sand cleaner that is safe for me to use on sand not gravel? I was also recently looking at this one by Ehiem. I will put the link for it below. Thanks in advance for your picks.

Check this out at Amazon EHEIM Quick Vac Pro Automatic Gravel Cleaner and Sludge

Screenshot_20210119-022536_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5’ tall 70 gal? Are you sure of the measurements?
+1 I’ve never seen tanks under thousands of gallons being 5 feet. Actually I’ve only ever seen them at the aquariums in person.

El Grunto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I’ve never seen tanks under thousands of gallons being 5 feet. Actually I’ve only ever seen them at the aquariums in person.
A standard Aqueon 75 on a stand that's 3.5' would have the total height over 5'. I'm assuming she means the top of the tank is 5' off the ground rather than the tank itself being 5' tall.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there reefers,
Since I bought my 70 gallon cube I've been using a manual sand cleaner which is difficult because my tank is pretty tall, a little over 5' tall. I'm looking for an electric sand cleaner and most of the ones that I found online like the Hyger and Boxtech look like they say they are for gravel and substrate and i am afraid that they wont work with my sandbed. I have the typical Caribsea Fiji pink grain sand (i believe it says the grain size is between 0.5-1.5mm). Will these cleaners work with my sandbed?? Or do you guys have any other good recommendations for a reliable electric sand cleaner that is safe for me to use on sand not gravel? I was also recently looking at this one by Ehiem. I will put the link for it below. Thanks in advance for your picks.

Check this out at Amazon EHEIM Quick Vac Pro Automatic Gravel Cleaner and Sludge

I actually picked the same thing up, ended up using it a few times, then pitched it in the trash. It isn't strong enough....the filter clogs very quickly......most of what you suck up ends up back in the tank. I occasionally use a long siphon and clean it that way. in between deep cleanings I stir the substrate and collect as much as I can with a fine mesh net.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5’ tall 70 gal? Are you sure of the measurements?
Yes, El Granton is right i meant the top of the tank is 5'
A standard Aqueon 75 on a stand that's 3.5' would have the total height over 5'. I'm assuming she means the top of the tank is 5' off the ground rather than the tank itself being 5' tall.
Yes exactly the top of the tank is 5ft so I have to use a step ladder and often can't see very well because I'm looking thru the top of the water trying to see the bottom. Basically is a pain in the anus lol

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 feet tall wall mount. I use a step ladder just to feed. Any maintenance is a real pain. My solution was just to turn the sand over and let the filter socks do the work. Diamond Gobies, star fish or snails can do that for you.
I feel your pain.....I have never felt so short in my life until this tank..
07A19EB0-7521-45BA-A176-CB9B3C02A94E.jpeg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad I have barebottom and can just connect a pump and 3D printed vacuum attachment.

+1 for manual vacuum, increasing pump output to return and hose directly into filter sock.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Ehiem— got a good deal because the LFS was going out of business. Like someone else said... JUNK!! The replaceable filter clogs right away and you would go broke trying to replace them. That’s just the tip of the problems. You’d be better off stirring up your bottom with a broom handle and letting your tank’s filtration system— even filter floss— do it’s job. (I have bought several sand-vacs over the years. Basically all worthless.)

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Ehiem— got a good deal because the LFS was going out of business. Like someone else said... JUNK!! The replaceable filter clogs right away and you would go broke trying to replace them. That’s just the tip of the problems. You’d be better off stirring up your bottom with a broom handle and letting your tank’s filtration system— even filter floss— do it’s job. (I have bought several sand-vacs over the years. Basically all worthless.)
Ya that's what I've been doing i turn the stand over with my trusty stick every single day. Just to stop any algae from. Growing on sand. But that doesn't help with the fish duces lol. I'm going to look into some diy solutions I guess. Anything is better than using the squeeze pump I have. It just picks up the dirt and drops it down again. I have hope one day I will master this mission, one day.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FastandCurious I have the Eheim and I think your problem will be that the motorized end needs to stay dry. So I’m not sure if you’ll be able to reach the bottom.

Have you thought about using a Python with a longer extension tube? I know they have them in 24, 30, and 36”.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there reefers,

Get a clean up crew sand sifters certain gobies my blue dot Bobbie keeps my sand white. Also small conchs . look it up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back