Looking for a good heater and controller.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is not better than a Ranco. The temp probes are not as reliable and the units are more buggy, need updating, have outlets that have failed "on," cost more and otherwise introduce more points of failure into the process. Companies with massive amounts of dollars in inventory rely on Ranco (and the like).

I do not have an Apex, but even if I did, I would still use a Ranco for heaters.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres what i use. Never seen my tank drift a degree off setpoint and i double check with an NIST thermometer every time i test parameters.
Always within .5 degrees of eachother and the NIST temp probe.

Bought a few as backup.

Been running about 1.5yrs no issues.
Each heater has its own controller. I use 2 small heaters so if one sticks on it wont cook my tank...even on a 100 degree day lol. Ive tested it. 2 barely cut it. Thinking of adding a 3rd inside tank and setting it 2degrees lower as a low temp failsafe.

Screenshot_20200922-080838_Amazon Shopping.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Titanium heater along with an inkbird controller will serve you well

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is what did you use to waterproof the Ranco temperature probe?
I have my heater on an Apex right now. Worrying about killing the Apex outlet the heater is on!
Thanks.....

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't want to the controller to be on, and the heater not. Let the controller do the work and the heater as backup. If the controller is on, then the heater needs to be heating... not the other way around. This is why you set the heater slightly higher.

Also, put the temp probe of the heater in the tank, not the sump. If you have multiple heaters, then I like to put one in the tank so that if I lose my return pump, the tank still stays warm. This redundancy along with flow pumps being on separate outlets as the return pump can save a tank.

I have my heater 'probe' in the part of the sump where the water flows in - to avoid cords. I use a Finnex heater - which has a pretty good controller - and use an apex - as a backup. The heater is set at 78 - if the temp goes above 80 - the Apex (should) - shut it off. Hope this helps

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the information and other options besides the Ranco. The Ranco controller is out of stock where the shrink tubing is. I've seen the Ranco controller at other on-line dealers, but not the PVC shrink tubing. The other PVC shrink tubing I've seen says water-resistant, not proof. So, I might wait for the Ranco controller to get back in stock and at ETC Supply with the PVC tubing. I'm leaning on getting the heaters off my Apex and on to a more robust controller.
Has anyone tried to use silicone sealant to water-proof the Ranco temperature probe?

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help, wiring isn't an issue it looks straight forward. And I will look at the used controller :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back