OP
vannstockwell

vannstockwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Also, yes it's a good move on your part to treat and go fallow. What size system is this? Did you say "Blue hippo Tangs" as in multiple of them?
I got two at the same time. They were really friendly with each other, but started to hit the rocks. I didn't know what that meant. I just watched and thought it was funny. I had no idea.

plumkrasea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I am Vann. I really tried to do it right with no live rock and going slow, but I am pretty sure I got some blue hippo tangs with ich and what a ride since then. Being new I didn't know what ich was and in trying to figure it out I have lost more than I want to admit to. Now here I am with my one fish left in a QT tank and a fallow DT tank with three corals, five hermits, and four snails. I have decided that I want to make sure everything is dead to move forward and QT from here on out. Thus here I am. So going fallow for 90 days should kill all fish problems, but I did not quarantine the corals, crabs, or snails prior to putting them in the tank. Last time I was at the LFS I noticed worms in one of the tanks so I am concerned about what was on my corals at least. I can't find any proof that corals and their pests being left fallow will kill what is there. I am really thinking of breaking it all down and washing it in tap water to kill everything and QTing the corals and starting all over. I will gladly move this to the correct thread, but this is why I am here. I have read many good articles from here, but I have not found this one yet.
Vann,
Sorry to hear about your Tang the same thing happen to me when I started in the hobby and found that most stores use copper in their system to keep parasites from developing on the live stock due to stress. I would use a QT and place the live stock in a low dose of copper work on getting the livestock eating and healthy to beat the parasite infection and hope for the best. (MAKE PLACES FOR THEM TO HIDE , PVC 4 INCH TUBING, LOW TO NO LIGHTING) I have tried all different type of Ich chemicals and never had success. Create and environment that the live stock is happy and healthy and they can adapt and beat the ich.
Hope this helps Dave

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I have to say it, a 65g is not enough space for any tang, especially a blue tang (hippo, or any of the sort). Just think of looking into some of the smaller cool fish out there. The stress of the small tank could also play into the disease.

If you are bored for the fallow, and super paranoid, do a full tear down and start over. A 65 gallon is not too much to do this with. Put the corals you have and inverts in a small tank for qt while tearing down the tank.

I tear down my 40g all the time to clean.

OP
OP
vannstockwell

vannstockwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish I buy are 1 to 2 inches and I am watching them grow while I figure out if I can find or make a larger tank. Money is that issue. Calling the local glass guy that we use to see what he can sell me glass for to make a larger one.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slippery slope on that one. I would wait to get the large fish (even as babies) until you have the large system. Just my opinion. Many others will disagree.
As others have said, many worms are good guys. I would not worry too much on that. Flatworms are the exception though. qt the corals will help determine if you have any.
Good luck!!! Hope you find a method (for cleaning the tank) you are comfortable with. We are here if you need us. :)

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r-gif-welcome.gif

OP
OP
vannstockwell

vannstockwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say thank you all for taking the time to comment. Many good thoughts in here and I have read them all. I look forward to growing in this community and learning and contributing. All I have to contribute right now are mistakes, but that is how we learn. I really do appreciate that comments.

OP
OP
vannstockwell

vannstockwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that brown look is from last night. Has not been there before. Just adding information for people. Treatment is the same for velvet and ich. But, I don't think copper will discolor the fish like that but I don't know.

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I am Vann. I really tried to do it right with no live rock and going slow, but I am pretty sure I got some blue hippo tangs with ich and what a ride since then. Being new I didn't know what ich was and in trying to figure it out I have lost more than I want to admit to. Now here I am with my one fish left in a QT tank and a fallow DT tank with three corals, five hermits, and four snails. I have decided that I want to make sure everything is dead to move forward and QT from here on out. Thus here I am. So going fallow for 90 days should kill all fish problems, but I did not quarantine the corals, crabs, or snails prior to putting them in the tank. Last time I was at the LFS I noticed worms in one of the tanks so I am concerned about what was on my corals at least. I can't find any proof that corals and their pests being left fallow will kill what is there. I am really thinking of breaking it all down and washing it in tap water to kill everything and QTing the corals and starting all over. I will gladly move this to the correct thread, but this is why I am here. I have read many good articles from here, but I have not found this one yet.
Do not worry we are all here. WELCOME TO REEF2REEF

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back