Looking for a Skimmer for a 40 Gallon Breeder

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an Omega 130 Skimmer off of facebook several weeks ago for 70.00. The pump is not working and making a lot of grinding noise. Oh well. So I am looking to buy a new skimmer. Something less bulky than the Omega 130 where the pump sits outside of the skimmer. There are just so many options. So in general, are there brands to stay away from and brands that exceed the rest? I want something that I can use when I decide to upgrade bigger tank. Probably will not exceed 100 gallons.

Here are a few I was looking at:

This can drive a person nuts LOL! So many options.

Thanks.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go wrong with Reef Octopus in my opinion. Id avoid Bubble magus. tried two and had issues with both. Take a look at Simplicity skimmers. Havent tried one personally but have seen a few folks use them with great results. Priced right IMO.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go wrong with Reef Octopus in my opinion. Id avoid Bubble magus. tried two and had issues with both. Take a look at Simplicity skimmers. Havent tried one personally but have seen a few folks use them with great results. Priced right IMO.

I guess thats why BRS doesn't sell Bubble Magnus :) Thanks will do.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the one I am going to get. Let me do more research and ask for others opinions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ice Cap K2-50

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Out of the ones you have listed there, I'd roll with the RO or the Aquamaxx. I'd avoid the Skimz like the plague.

Btl boutique

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the one I am going to get. Let me do more research and ask for others opinions?

I'm in a similar situation myself (setting up a 40 breeder) , and was between the RO classic 110 and the essence 130. I reached out to brs and the dude from brs recommended the classic 110. That is what I went with, however I haven't used it yet.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok thanks lol. What's wrong with the Skimz? just curious. Thanks
I've had 2 skimz skimmers and both were great out of the gate, but the pumps failed and/or had issues fairly quickly that seemingly could never be resolved. I also know several folks who had nothing but issues with them (and other Skimz products), so I just stopped messing with them. Also, as I believe someone else mentioned, I think their company is on its way out.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 skimz skimmers and both were great out of the gate, but the pumps failed and/or had issues fairly quickly that seemingly could never be resolved. I also know several folks who had nothing but issues with them (and other Skimz products), so I just stopped messing with them. Also, as I believe someone else mentioned, I think their company is on its way out.
thanks for the heads up. I will stay away.

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an Omega 130 Skimmer off of facebook several weeks ago for 70.00. The pump is not working and making a lot of grinding noise. Oh well. So I am looking to buy a new skimmer. Something less bulky than the Omega 130 where the pump sits outside of the skimmer. There are just so many options. So in general, are there brands to stay away from and brands that exceed the rest? I want something that I can use when I decide to upgrade bigger tank. Probably will not exceed 100 gallons.

Here are a few I was looking at:

This can drive a person nuts LOL! So many options.

Thanks.
I’ll be getting the Tunze 9004 HOB skimmer for mine. It won BRS’s top rated skimmer for this size tank

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am going to go with this. maybe :) lol.

Last edited:

Reef Tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the RO 110 SSS for $192 during the BRS Black Friday sale. I’m running a 40 breeder too. So far I really like the skimmer. 0B23FEC6-B83F-4E26-B2FE-4E00C5DC729B.jpeg

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the Aquamaxx (and have so I'm bias even though I've had an octopus back when that design wasn't a classic). Nothing wrong with the octopus classic but it's just that, an older design with a newer pump). When you can get a reputable skimmer with smooth cone or wine glass transition, a gate water level valve, adjustment air, a non exclusive
(except the pinwheel) get anywhere Sicce pump for less $$ why wouldn't you. The smallest fc-80 is more than enough

20200617_173601.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back