Looking for a smaller colorful fish that has a lot of movement

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like the title says I'm looking for a smaller colorful fish that has a lot of movement in my reef tank. I also want to have them in a group of say 3 to 5. My tank is a 70 gallon tank with a Christmas wrasse, tribal blenny, ocellaris clown, mystery wrasse, and a hi hat goby, oh and I have a declivis butterfly on the way. Just want a small group of fish that can provide movement in the tank. I looked at green chromis, but read that they kill each other off and you end up with like 2. Anthias I tried a few, but they ended up dying off from I think not getting enough food unfortunately. I feed once daily, though could feed 2 times daily a few times a week. Chromis and damsels I really want to avoid because I have seen and heard about them being very aggressive and I have a peaceful tank.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire fish? Some pretty colors...they stay stationary at night but move during day...as i found after my shark ate 3 of the 4 i have
14899626847391455925594.jpg

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den has groupes of glass cardinals fairly regularly. I think they would be neat but some people say they can be hard to keep so they would require a little bit of research. I have heard a lot of the issue was due to collection methods but I'm not toatally sure.

IMG_3294.PNG

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den has groupes of glass cardinals fairly regularly. I think they would be neat but some people say they can be hard to keep so they would require a little bit of research. I have heard a lot of the issue was due to collection methods but I'm not toatally sure.

IMG_3294.PNG
The issuea with these is that they need to be fed frequently. If they aren't they die off pretty quickly.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajama/ bangaii/ orange line cardinals tend to school up, I also like scissortail gobies as @eatbreakfast reccomended.
You could always get another similar clown and try to get them to pair up (get one slightly smaller in size than the rest of the bunch wherever your getting them from to avoid getting a female)

Chromis don't tend to kill each other off unless they're not being fed well... damsels are generally more aggressive so I'd stay with chromis, but you can certainly do a small group of those guys!
You could also look into getting a solo tang: yellow/scopas/ kole/ bristletooth... those guys swim around quite a bit!

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sort of thinking of doing either 5 green chromis or a Whitetail bristletooth tang. What do y'all think?

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white tails are one of the largest bristletooths... I'd go with a kole/ 2 spot/ square tail/ yellow/
tomini <-- fav

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like the title says I'm looking for a smaller colorful fish that has a lot of movement in my reef tank. I also want to have them in a group of say 3 to 5. My tank is a 70 gallon tank with a Christmas wrasse, tribal blenny, ocellaris clown, mystery wrasse, and a hi hat goby, oh and I have a declivis butterfly on the way. Just want a small group of fish that can provide movement in the tank. I looked at green chromis, but read that they kill each other off and you end up with like 2. Anthias I tried a few, but they ended up dying off from I think not getting enough food unfortunately. I feed once daily, though could feed 2 times daily a few times a week. Chromis and damsels I really want to avoid because I have seen and heard about them being very aggressive and I have a peaceful tank.

Hey badstorm48,

What about yellow tang?
What ideas do you have?

Zhenya

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springeri, talbots, and azures are all pretty mellow damsels.

Agree - I have Talbots damsels (Chrysiptera talboti), azure damsels (Chrysiptera hemicyanea aka Kupang damsels), and black bar Chromis (Chromis retrofasciata). As long as you have a few and take some care when you introduce them, they keep themselves busy and provide a lot of movement and color in the tank.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got five Springeri damsels. No aggression at all. For a nice blue I'd go with them over Chromis.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know about the white tail bristle tooth. Only reason I mentioned it is because live aquaria says 70 gallons is good enough and they only get to 6.5in. Everything I heard with damsels and chromis is that they are either aggressive or if you try to keep a group they kill eachother off until there is only like 2 left. I'm going to get the blue/green chromis. After what many of y'all are saying I'll give it a try. I really like the blue/green chromis just because I like the subtle blue and green color they have its really nice to me. How many do y'all think I should get? I was think 5 or 6 maybe?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know about the white tail bristle tooth. Only reason I mentioned it is because live aquaria says 70 gallons is good enough and they only get to 6.5in. Everything I heard with damsels and chromis is that they are either aggressive or if you try to keep a group they kill eachother off until there is only like 2 left. I'm going to get the blue/green chromis. After what many of y'all are saying I'll give it a try. I really like the blue/green chromis just because I like the subtle blue and green color they have its really nice to me. How many do y'all think I should get? I was think 5 or 6 maybe?

Minimum 4 but the more the merrier [emoji1360]

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite small fishes is the diadema dottyback[ pseudochromis diadema]
They are always out in the water column and are very hardy fish.
Diadema-Basslet-Fish.jpg

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I heard with damsels and chromis is that they are either aggressive or if you try to keep a group they kill eachother off

Have to be careful about generalizations, it totally depends on which damsels or chromis you're talking about. My Kupang damsels are such wimps everybody in the tank chases them from time to time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back