Looking for an easy water change solution for my apartment

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I've decided that I hate water changes. That's the part of my maintenance that I am least faithful with (there...I said it...), and I think the biggest reason is that I hate buckets. It's not the packing them that's the issue...it's mixing several separate buckets of water...I know it sounds petty...

So, I've been thinking that if I could DIY a system for quick water changes, I'd probably do a better job of being consistent with them. It wouldn't be an AWC system or a typical mixing station setup (I live in a 2-bedroom apartment), but it could be a system with 2 containers and a couple of pumps.

I'm thinking a large-ish container (20-30g?) with a drain that I could drain old water into so that i could be precise about what I'm pulling out, and then a container of equal size to mix fresh SW in with a small pump to pump the water back into the tank. I have a back patio I could keep it on. Thoughts?

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 gallon brute container. That is what i use for my water changes.

About the idea of keeping this set up on the patio, the only thing i would worry about is the temperature of the patio in relationship to the tank (will you be able to match temp before pumping to tank?), as well as the distance the water is being pumped... are you planning on doing like a hard plumb to your tank, or just take out the pumps and tubing every so often when you do a change?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
32 gallon brute container. That is what i use for my water changes.

About the idea of keeping this set up on the patio, the only thing i would worry about is the temperature of the patio in relationship to the tank (will you be able to match temp before pumping to tank?), as well as the distance the water is being pumped... are you planning on doing like a hard plumb to your tank, or just take out the pumps and tubing every so often when you do a change?
Thanks. I had thought about just using a couple of brute trash cans...I might still...just not sure how my wife might react to having those on her back patio all the time. :rolleyes:

On the temperature, that's not too hard bc I live in southern Cali where the weather is pretty nice all year. It shouldn't be hard to match temps.

I'm planning on just using a hose. The tank is situated about 2 feet from the back patio door, so hose would be an easy solution. I figure the hose and pumps could just stay in whatever I use for the water change.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple 35 gallon “leg tanks” from tractor supply would be more than ample, and you could probably build a hand cart to wheel them around on. (This is something I have thought a little about in the past.

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also go with something like this if you dont want to do the brute container (https://www.ntotank.com/35gallon-norwesco-white-horizontal-leg-tank-x6224860)

If you went this route, you could frame out a stand to put one on top of the other. Drain from tank to the bottom, then fill from top container to tank. This container also has markings on the side to show you how many gallons which would make getting the same amount in and out easier than just guessing.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is kind of what I was thinking about. I was thinking maybe a cooler of some kind since it would have a drain built in, but this might be better.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Salt and a RODI Booster pump as well your existing ATO if you have one ;-)
All via APEX and Salinity control.
Done, no buckets at all ever..............

That's the next item I need to bring back online on my new tank system I just restarted.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 90g tank, 20g sump. Day before 24g RO water into 32g brute. 14 cups IO Reef salt makes 1.025. Drop in a 300W heater overnight. Pump hooked to 20ft of flex pvc 1 inch tubing into toilet a half flight up. 24g old out of tank. Pump put in brute, 24g new into tank. Put pump and tubing away. Watch fish. Takes 25 minutes. 20% water change every two to three weeks.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These single water change units that you could roll around on a cart are interesting, wish there were more reviews.

Both the Apex DOS and GHL unit can pull a long distance. Even if you don't run a continuous water change, you could automate the moving buckets part. Have two containers on your balcony, hook up the two DOS lines, and hit start. You could nicely run the RODI tubing around your apartment to a convenient location.
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/213/25-gallon-vertical-plastic-storage-tank-vt0025-18
But the rollable cart above could be slick. You make the water, roll the container in front of your tank, hit start. A few hours later, roll the tank elsewhere and drain it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back