Looking for bamboo shark experts

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently purchased a bamboo shark. I’ve done a fair amount of research and believe I’ve got all the correct things in place including plenty of space to swim/hide, low nitrates, and lots of time in low light. He has a healthy appetite and eats readily but I can only get him to eat scallops and occasionally shrimp. Should this be cause for concern? I know sharks typically need varied diet and a source of iodine but he won’t seem to go for anything but scallops. I’ve tried squid, muscles, clam, oysters and he turns his head up.

Another question I have is how active are the sharks typically? Mine seems to move around the tank bottom to a few favourite spots but I never see him actually swim, is this normal?

If there are any experts on here please chime in, I’m sure I’ll have more questions over time :)

thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Chris Van Daele

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

38A41EB1-FEC2-4CFC-A15B-5FEC3CF6118E.jpeg

bluedevils6653

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,
first off how large is he and how big your tank? when you say you have low nitrates what the exact reading? also how long have you had him so far? There nocturnal animals so you wont see him very active during the day. if he doesnt get enough iodine he will develop a goiter. basically a lump on his throat more or less. ive kept plenty of sharks and rays over the past 10 years and have experience if you need to bounce ideas off someone. let me know im more than happy to help

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until he gets situated and comfortable in the tank, he won't swim in the day. Just try to keep things stable and he should be just fine.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look out for odd behavior such as yawning, hiding at night. They should be active when the lights are dimmed/out. This is their favorite time to hunt.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back