Looking for DIY fishtrap pics

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70AC1D84-FCA3-467F-869E-D38FC85B65CE.jpeg
I have a 4” Powder Blue Tang I may need to get out of my reef to give a time out due to aggression. Just wanted to see pics of any DIY fish traps large enough for a PBT

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent had to catch anything that large yet, but I have had very good success using a bottle or jug with the top cut off and flipped to sit inside the bottle. I imagine the same concept would work on a larger scale.

I have also used a large clear glass laying down, and sat holding a net above the opening. When fish went in, net went down over the glass, and pulled it out all together, strained off the water and transferred the fish.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve done that before but this guy is big. I’m thinking about trying to use eggcrate

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to get your creative juices flowing. This was a media basket for a jbj aio tank, I cut the sections out to make one large chamber. I took one of the plastic pieces to make the door, attached with some fishing line. Drilled a couple of holes in the top and top of door and attached a fishing line. A hole in the top to squirt food into, the back end of the trap has slots so the water can flow through. I attached to the side of the tank using magnets from a power head mount. When the fish I was trying to catch came in, I pulled the fishing line to close the door. You have to be there to manually close the door, but it has worked for me on a few occasions.

009.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back