Looking for help on a Wrasse Gang

FireUnderwater

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2025
Messages
130
Reaction score
83
Location
Bardstown
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently going through stocking for my 140G.
In tank or QT currently are
2 Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Purple Firefish
1 Flametail Blenny
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Flame Angelfish

So far, I've had extremely minimal aggression (including the two dwarf angels), so I'd like to keep it that way. I'm looking for a solid trio/4 piece of wrasses as my next batch for my QT. Originally, I was planning on a Melanarus, Exquisite, Lubbock's fairy, and a Royal Flasher but I've start to second guess most of those choices. I am looking for at least one decent pest eater in the group. So, anyone have any decent recommendations for what they've had success within their tanks?
 
Currently going through stocking for my 140G.
In tank or QT currently are
2 Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Purple Firefish
1 Flametail Blenny
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Flame Angelfish

So far, I've had extremely minimal aggression (including the two dwarf angels), so I'd like to keep it that way. I'm looking for a solid trio/4 piece of wrasses as my next batch for my QT. Originally, I was planning on a Melanarus, Exquisite, Lubbock's fairy, and a Royal Flasher but I've start to second guess most of those choices. I am looking for at least one decent pest eater in the group. So, anyone have any decent recommendations for what they've had success within their tanks?
Did you get a wrasse gang yet? I kind of want a couple wrasses and my research has been a Melanurus, Six Line, Yellow Coris, best for pests (basically a Halichoeres). The Melanurus has me nervous because I’ve read a lot saying they are invert buffet hogs (i don’t want to end up with an invertless tank, a few lost is fine) but some say it’s never an issue. I’d like a Melanurus and an Exquisite Fairy added at the same time, I don’t get all the male/female stuff and which are best. Wrasses were never on my radar but I am all for adding a working fish especially for some pest control. The Exquisite just for looks or if there is a better combination to go with a Melanurus. I have a Yellow Tang so another all yellow fish doesn’t so much appeal to me
 
Did you get a wrasse gang yet? I kind of want a couple wrasses and my research has been a Melanurus, Six Line, Yellow Coris, best for pests (basically a Halichoeres). The Melanurus has me nervous because I’ve read a lot saying they are invert buffet hogs (i don’t want to end up with an invertless tank, a few lost is fine) but some say it’s never an issue. I’d like a Melanurus and an Exquisite Fairy added at the same time, I don’t get all the male/female stuff and which are best. Wrasses were never on my radar but I am all for adding a working fish especially for some pest control. The Exquisite just for looks or if there is a better combination to go with a Melanurus. I have a Yellow Tang so another all yellow fish doesn’t so much appeal to me
It’s a work in progress. I have a yellow meringue coris and red eye solar wrasse going through QT right now. Next additions are going to be an Exquisite, Lubbocks, and potentially a Naoko for my final.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new