Looking for ideas on one wow fish

Brittmcoleman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am sure there are a ton of threads like mine. I am sorry. I currently have a 30g with a cuc, a chocolate chip starfish, and 1 coral beauty (currently 2 inch). It’s a fowlr tank. I am in the process of setting up a 75 g Fowlr. The coral beauty will move to the 75g. I want a pair of clownfish, of course. I am wanting your opinion on a showpiece fish (under $200). I have considered a dwarf lionfish but they seem to be hard to come by. Also, I have read several threads on here that made a little nervous about success. I also like valentini puffers. I was hoping to add captive bred only to the tank.

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good showpiece fish could be a wrasse such as the Melanarus Wrasse or a Klunzinger's Wrasse. The dwarf lion may eat up the clowns if they are too small, but if you keep the lionfish fed I think it will be fine. An angel could also be nice, but it's up to you.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With captive bred only a "wow" fish gets costly pretty fast unfortunately, although I support and commend you 100% for doing so. The puffers and lions are not CB yet, some angels are but in a 75 you'll be limited to dwarf Angels, which there are still some very cool types. I'm not sure about the marine betta/grouper on captive bred availability, they're very cool fish. Usually pretty timid but will probably demolish smaller fish and any shrimp in the system

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people may consider a coral beauty a showpiece for a 75g, You might spend your money or a "wow" pair of clowns, something like these: https://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-de...captive-bred-snow-storm-clownfish-bonded-pair
Captive bred is great but you will be limited, not captive bred there are some nice fairy wrasses that would add alot of pop. Dwarf lionfish are cool but do take specialized care if you are to keep them long term, Check out some threads in the predatory forum if your are interested.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Flame Angel might be considered a special "smaller" show fish. Or a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel (if you are wanting something semi-predator, bit safer than the dwarf lion with clowns).

Dwarf lions are awesome, but they can eat fish equalling their own size. (Ask me how I know!)

Or you can just forget the clowns and dwarf angels and go straight for this! ;)
https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/501604/super-aberrant-undulated-triggerfish
(Definitely joking!)

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a fowlr I would look into:
sunset butterflyfish( Chaetodon pelewensis)
0A02F78F-1241-44C7-8C07-6F5F2A287DE1.jpeg

Or a pearlscale butterflyfish(Chaetodon xanthurus)
D210AF7A-6E6B-4B95-BEDA-DFA7988D08E9.jpeg

I’ve always liked butterflyfish, it’s a shame they aren’t reef safe.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Betta, all the way. A beautiful fish.
Here's mine, and my Hawk. Which I should add both seem to be pretty hardy fish, both survived the first stage of a velvet outbreak that nuked half my livestock.

After that, Harlequin Tusk, Flame Hawkfish, eels, Blue Throat Trigger.

DSC_0292.JPG DSC_0373.JPG DSC_0354.JPG DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0166.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a huge fan of wrasses myself. Lots of options that could work as a show fish.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Band tail waspfish, small predatory fish, only get to 2.5 inches, quite unique, will only be able to eat small goby type fish
Leopard toby puffers
Ostracion solorensis

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty awesome. I need to research it. Thank you for the suggestion.

I just did a write up on the red bandtail waspfish

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back