Looking for Ideas

DustinPavlick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer's greetings everyone
I am building my second reef tank in the past 5 months. 1st was a 13 gallon with coral. New tank will have coral is a 150 gallon yes quite a step in the larger direction
I guess I got bit by the reefing bug. Anyway a lot of fish I consider says not reef safe Can someone give me some Ideas of some unique fish that I can consider and that would probably do ok in a reef tank. I really want an eel. Is there some eels that are better than others in a coral reef environment. I have gone snorkeling in Hawaii and found eels in the reefs there so why cant I put one in my reef tank. I would prefer fish that get a good size not small ones and colorful. I am still a rookie so any help would be much appreciated. Oh I am also hiring a reef pro to help me care and set up until I can get the hang of everything.
Thanks

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin Tusk, Bluethroat Trigger, Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish are a few large reefsafe fish.

20230604_203550.gif

Upvote 0

Fossilman06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a small snowflake or ribbon eel would be fine in a Reef tank. You just need to remember, eels need to be fed very well, otherwise they will eat their smaller tank mates. Also, the heavy feeding is going to add possibly unwanted nutrients to your tank and could cause phosphate or nitrite spikes, which will lead to unwanted algea. An eel will also need a good hiding place. Most eel keepers with Reef tanks build pvc pipe structures and hide them under the aquascape. There are some members on here who own eels, they would probably have more advice than I could give. This is just my thoughts on it and I've only done quick research in past on eels.

Upvote 0

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know plenty of folks that have kept snowflake eels in a reef. Done it myself, in the past. Aside from being escape artists (cover ever available exit!), and messy eaters (increasing need for a good filter and cleanup crew), there's no reason not to. Might he eat small tankmates? Sure, but that's true of many of the fishes we keep. Snowflakes are not particularly aggressive. Most that I've had were quite timid, really.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back