Looking for Large, Reefsafe Bottom Dweller

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just wanted to see if I can get any info or opinions on the following fishes.

I am considering three different fish at this point for my reef. I want something that is unique. I have them listed in order of interest.

Brotulina fusca
Lycopod Yellow / Brotulina fusca / Wild Gobies - Quality Marine

Acanthocepola indica
Pouter Blushing False Eye / Acanthocepola indica / Wild Gobies - Quality Marine

Pholidichthys leucotaenia
Engineer / Pholidichthys leucotaenia / Wild Gobies - Quality Marine

I really dont want the engineer goby...but it seems the safest bet, and right now it is my last option choice. I can get all three of these fish.

If you have a different suggestion of a large bottom dweller that is reef safe, and can live in 2-3 inches of substrate, please mention it.

The tank is stocked with:

ORA extreme misbar pair
Clarkii Pair
Mystery Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Navarchus Angel
Blue Hippo Tang
Purple Tang

I am getting three anthias in with this fish...bimacs probably.

Then the tank (6' 125g variety) will be stocked.

Thanks

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't advise anything on the pouter-

Brotula- an all time favorite of mine, but not a fish you'll see. Uses a weak electrical signal for navigating in zero lighting conditions, and tends to be out during those times. I had one in a tank for 5+ years, only say it three times in that span: first when i put it in, second when I tore the tank down 2 years later to move it, and last when I tore the tank down again to move/sell it. Wouldn't recommend if you're adding the fish for looks.

Engineer Goby: Be prepared for the reconstruction they do- otherwise a very awesome fish, but if you have a lot of corals on the sandbed, or any delicate/expensive items, might not be a good choice.

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den - Dinematichthys sp.

There is your Yellow Dusky ^. But I am fairly certain that if you place this fish your your reef you will not seen it very often. This species is a crevice dweller and fairly secretive.

The Pouter will be very similar to the brotula in behavior.

The engineer goby will move your substrate and small rock around and are not very attractive when large.

What about a Jawfish. I have kept several species of jawfish (my favorite being the Bluespotted) and they can become very personable over time.
Hawkfish (while not exclusively bottom dwelling) are very nice as well.

~Michael

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't advise anything on the pouter-

Brotula- an all time favorite of mine, but not a fish you'll see. Uses a weak electrical signal for navigating in zero lighting conditions, and tends to be out during those times. I had one in a tank for 5+ years, only say it three times in that span: first when i put it in, second when I tore the tank down 2 years later to move it, and last when I tore the tank down again to move/sell it. Wouldn't recommend if you're adding the fish for looks.

Engineer Goby: Be prepared for the reconstruction they do- otherwise a very awesome fish, but if you have a lot of corals on the sandbed, or any delicate/expensive items, might not be a good choice.

Sweet thanks for the advice...I have heard one other testimony, and they said pretty much the same thing...with the price I am getting on the fish...it might be worth it even if I cant see it, but I obviously want a fish that I can see. Wonder what he was eating that whole time? How big did it get in your tank?

Unfortunately its looking more and more like the engineer is the best choice. I do have a superman chalice...but that is the nicest thing for now until I get my two other chalices in this tank for grow out. (Eventually they will be up on rocks)

Thanks for the advice thus far, good to hear that other people have kept them.

Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den - Dinematichthys sp.

There is your Yellow Dusky ^. But I am fairly certain that if you place this fish your your reef you will not seen it very often. This species is a crevice dweller and fairly secretive.

The Pouter will be very similar to the brotula in behavior.

The engineer goby will move your substrate and small rock around and are not very attractive when large.

What about a Jawfish. I have kept several species of jawfish (my favorite being the Bluespotted) and they can become very personable over time.
Hawkfish (while not exclusively bottom dwelling) are very nice as well.

~Michael

Hawkfish is right out...I want something that will be goby esque...its really the last space in my tank that doesnt have an inhabitant, so that is what I am looking for.

I saw the dusky one on fosters...I have sent them an email asking about what it is eating. More than likely, I will not be getting that one, as I have access to cheaper ones that are the bright yellow color if I do go this way. That being said, I have been eying this guy for quite some time.

I would go the jawfish route, but I have very little sand in my tank as I like to keep a very clean sand bed.

If you think that he could make caves under rock with 2-3" of sand, then it would be considered. I would get a blue spotted, but one of my friend has been waiting to do so for quite some time, so I would feel a jerk if I "stole" that fish from him. Any other jawfish suggestions?

Kinda a shame about the pouter and brotula...I really want something "oddball"ish for this last fish.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back