Looking for new macros

AlgaeLove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been on the search for a while for new, uncommon macros to add to my collection. I feel like I have found everything online retailers have to offer. So I was wondering if any fellow reefers had some rare or unusual macros they'd be willing to share/sell.

I already have a lot of reds including String of Pearls, Botryocladia (unsure what specific species, I think occidentalis), multiple dragon's breath halymenias, portieria, blue hypnea, bryothamnion, and other very common ones. Not getting greens right now until I start my 30 gal grow out tank, unless it is really uncommon or interesting.

Some macros I've been interested in but have been unsuccessful in finding:
-Red palm
-Chondria
-Laurencia
-Flamingo Feather
-Any type of scroll algae

Definitely let me know if you have any of these or something cool that's not listed! I have plenty of pictures on my build thread of what I already have and I'll leave a link to my WTB post that's a little more detailed.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/l...ne-algae/']Gulf Specimen Marine Lab [/QUOTE]
Laurencia sp. and Padina sp. (Scroll algae)!

Unfortunately, the minimum cost for an order is $70... animal cost only.
Yeah I actually tried them out too, about a month or two ago. I got the jointed tuft and flamingo feather. Unfortunately, the flamingo feather didn’t survive. I was going to try again sometime soon though! What kind of water flow and light intensity do you have it under?
I am doing medium light right now. Red macros grow better in blue spectrum and green macros grow better in white spectrum. I have read somewhere that red macros really like I

I have the flamingo feather in a pretty high flow right now and it seems to be doing pretty well! Medium flow throughout the tank though!

Have you looked at codium? It’s a really pretty green macro with a really cool texture!

I bought this macro recently and it came in really healthy. It’s kind of like dragons breath except the macro has a lot of little orange dots on it! It’s a really pretty macro
Listing: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1209109868/small-acid-rain-marine-macro-algae
there’s another listing on Etsy for a red razor macro as well!

If you get any news on those macros you’re looking for keep me posted ! I’m always searching for stuff too. So if I come across anything I’ll let you know!

Last edited:
OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing medium light right now. Red macros grow better in blue spectrum and green macros grow better in white spectrum.
I have the flamingo feather in a pretty high flow right now and it seems to be doing pretty well! Medium flow throughout the tank though!

Have you looked at codium? It’s a really pretty green macro with a really cool texture!
Thanks for the tips! Yeah I noticed when I upgraded to a slightly stronger light that happened to be bluer than my original one, my reds really started to take off and grow. I do have some codium! But it's always been a very slow grower for me.

AlgaeLove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips! Yeah I noticed when I upgraded to a slightly stronger light that happened to be bluer than my original one, my reds really started to take off and grow. I do have some codium! But it's always been a very slow grower for me.
No problem! Haha I added some stuff to my last post because I forgot to! But try Etsy for macro algae sourcing too! There’s a few odd ball macros on there !
try placing the codium closer to the light ! I placed my codium at the tip of my aquarium and it’s carpeting my rockwork right now. Lol

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh cool I'll definitely have to try moving it up. Makes sense because a lot of codium grows at a beach by me but only in shallow parts near the shore. I recently found MosaicMacros on etsy! They've been great and have some cool stuff!

AlgaeLove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh cool I'll definitely have to try moving it up. Makes sense because a lot of codium grows at a beach by me but only in shallow parts near the shore. I recently found MosaicMacros on etsy! They've been great and have some cool stuff!

how big is your macro tank right now ? Ha I’m still trying to collect some oddball macros here and there myself and only god my hands on a few things.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is your macro tank right now ? Ha I’m still trying to collect some oddball macros here and there myself and only god my hands on a few things.
My macro tank is 90g and I have a lot of different stuff mostly reds. Nothing has grown quite as well as the string of pearls but like I had mentioned, after upgrading my lights most of my macros have been doing pretty good the past few months. I should probably make a list at some point of all the macros I have because sometimes I lose track lol.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this on the off chance anyone has any new/rare macros they're willing to sell/trade/share.

I've been considering emailing live rock vendors because that seems to be the only way people are (unintentionally) getting nemastoma.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back