Looking for new macros

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been on the search for a while for new, uncommon macros to add to my collection. I feel like I have found everything online retailers have to offer. So I was wondering if any fellow reefers had some rare or unusual macros they'd be willing to share/sell.

I already have a lot of reds including String of Pearls, Botryocladia (unsure what specific species, I think occidentalis), multiple dragon's breath halymenias, portieria, blue hypnea, bryothamnion, and other very common ones. Not getting greens right now until I start my 30 gal grow out tank, unless it is really uncommon or interesting.

Some macros I've been interested in but have been unsuccessful in finding:
-Red palm
-Chondria
-Laurencia
-Flamingo Feather
-Any type of scroll algae

Definitely let me know if you have any of these or something cool that's not listed! I have plenty of pictures on my build thread of what I already have and I'll leave a link to my WTB post that's a little more detailed.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interested in meredithia algae but the only time I’ve ever seen it on forums is from reefers from the UK. It’s absolutely beautiful!

FB6A6480-487B-4A0A-AC56-3A3ED7461982.jpeg

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOOK WHAT I'VE FOUND!
Gulf Specimen Marine Lab
Laurencia sp. and Padina sp. (Scroll algae)!

Unfortunately, the minimum cost for an order is $70... animal cost only.
Wow! They have a few things I have seen before. They're all priced $15, I wonder how much you get for each. Sucks about the minimum cost though. Does that mean I have to get some sort of animal and do the rest of the order as algae or could I just get $70 worth of algae?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! They have a few things I have seen before. They're all priced $15, I wonder how much you get for each. Sucks about the minimum cost though. Does that mean I have to get some sort of animal and do the rest of the order as algae or could I just get $70 worth of algae?
You would probably have to order an animal (or contact them about it first).

Keztrel99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interested in meredithia algae but the only time I’ve ever seen it on forums is from reefers from the UK. It’s absolutely beautiful!

FB6A6480-487B-4A0A-AC56-3A3ED7461982.jpeg
I have something that looks very similar to that. It's quite gorgeous and has thrived in my neglected tank.

Attachments

• 20211114_195352.jpg
    20211114_195352.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stephers Thanks! It was one of the first macros I got when I started my tank. But, it didn't survive me over-dosing microbacter-7 in my attempt to rush the ugly stage and get rid of the diatoms. They have so many cool macros on their website but I never really see any on their ebay. I only got lucky once and was able to snag some cryptonemia.

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stephers Thanks! It was one of the first macros I got when I started my tank. But, it didn't survive me over-dosing microbacter-7 in my attempt to rush the ugly stage and get rid of the diatoms. They have so many cool macros on their website but I never really see any on their ebay. I only got lucky once and was able to snag some cryptonemia.
Yea. I check their ebay every so often (they had some dragon macro posted this week) but they seem to be very much out of the macroalgae game, unfortunately.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m interested in some string of pearls
Awesome! Unfortunately, I live in NY and it is still extremely cold. So I'm currently waiting for warmer weather before taking any new orders. At temps of 32F and below the heat packs won't even work properly and were in the 20s about every other day.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this even though I wouldn't be able to have anything shipped due to the cold weather here in NY. Here are some of the algae at the top of my wish list that I haven't been able to find on any websites or haven't been available in over a year:

-Blue scroll algae (or any type of scroll algae)
-Interesting coralline (especially plating types)
-Other types of encrusting algae like Hildenbrandia or Peyssonnelia
-Nemastoma
-Laurencia
-Codium lucasii (LA Reefs)
-Liagora (Reef Cleaners)
-Mermaid's Cup (Reef Cleaners)

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://m.carolina.com/marine-and-saltwater-animals/acetabularia-living/151448.pr#reviews

Carolina Biological Supply currently carries Acetabularia (Mermaid's wine glass)… with enough individuals in a single order to satisfy the entire hobby :confused:.

“Attached to natural substrate. Other algae also present. Can be kept in saltwater aquarium. Freshly collected and shipped from Florida (allow 2 weeks for delivery). Each culture contains enough material for a class of 30 students.”

“A large sample (300 or more individuals) in good condition arrived as promised on the date promised.”

Back