OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://m.carolina.com/marine-and-saltwater-animals/acetabularia-living/151448.pr#reviews

Carolina Biological Supply currently carries Acetabularia (Mermaid's wine glass)… with enough individuals in a single order to satisfy the entire hobby :confused:.

“Attached to natural substrate. Other algae also present. Can be kept in saltwater aquarium. Freshly collected and shipped from Florida (allow 2 weeks for delivery). Each culture contains enough material for a class of 30 students.”

“A large sample (300 or more individuals) in good condition arrived as promised on the date promised.”
Interesting! Your'e so good at finding different, random sources lol. Thank you!

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Cleaners says they carry a brown scroll algae, but they also say it’s out of season right now.
Yeah they have a lot of cool stuff in the out of season section! Unfortunately, I've been keeping an eye on their macro algae section for the past year and haven't seen any of the out of season stuff pop up yet.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm bored at work and I'm looking through Gulf Coast Ecosystems' website and their online macro algae guide and found this interesting green macro that I guess I had not noticed the last few times I've went through the site. The genus is called Anadyomene and some species look basically like a beautiful high-end and rigid version of Ulva. One species has a crazy and cool pattern to it.

I know it's a complete shot in the dark but if anyone happens to have any of these, and would be ok with parting with some, definitely let me know! :D

This is what GCE has pictured on their guide which is Anadyomene cavernosa. It kind of just looks like a regular terrestrial tree leaf.

1645202928919.png 1645203103595.png

Then while searching on google I found images of Anadyomene stellata, which looks like scrunched up Ulva but with really nice "vein" patterns. In one picture it looks like the veins have a blue iridescence.

1645202899982.png 1645203137818.png

Then there is Anadyomene lacerata, which is just absolutely wild lol.

1645203118382.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm bored at work and I'm looking through Gulf Coast Ecosystems' website and their online macro algae guide and found this interesting green macro that I guess I had not noticed the last few times I've went through the site. The genus is called Anadyomene and some species look basically like a beautiful high-end and rigid version of Ulva. One species has a crazy and cool pattern to it.

I know it's a complete shot in the dark but if anyone happens to have any of these, and would be ok with parting with some, definitely let me know! :D

This is what GCE has pictured on their guide which is Anadyomene cavernosa. It kind of just looks like a regular terrestrial tree leaf.

Then while searching on google I found images of Anadyomene stellata, which looks like scrunched up Ulva but with really nice "vein" patterns. In one picture it looks like the veins have a blue iridescence.

1645202899982.png 1645203137818.png

Then there is Anadyomene lacerata, which is just absolutely wild lol.

1645203118382.png
Wow, that last one in particular is beautiful.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anadyomene cavernosa does not seem to a be a species listed anywhere outside Marine Plants in the Aquarium, but I am convinced that the macroalgae pictured is actually called Dictyosphaeria cavernosa. Dictyosphaeria cavernosa seems to be very hardy, but, like Valonia, can become invasive when its spore-containing membranes rupture.

Information:
http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=2009

Dictyosphaeria cavernosa:
1645206146375.png

1645206665442.png

@Ghost25 legally brought some Dictyosphaeria from Hawaii to the mainland U.S. back in November. I am not sure if they still have it, though:
1645206506482.png

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anadyomene cavernosa does not seem to a be a species listed anywhere outside Marine Plants in the Aquarium, but I am convinced that the macroalgae pictured is actually called Dictyosphaeria cavernosa. Dictyosphaeria cavernosa seems to be very hardy, but, like Valonia, can become invasive when its spore-containing membranes rupture.

Information:
http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=2009

Dictyosphaeria cavernosa:
1645206146375.png

1645206665442.png

@Ghost25 legally brought some Dictyosphaeria from Hawaii to the mainland U.S. back in November. I am not sure if they still have it, though:
1645206506482.png

Ah ok, yeah you're definitely right. I was thinking that it looked very different than the other Anadyomene species.

In my tank there is no such thing as an invasive algae (other than GHA)! But even then, I have some GHA that I actually like because it grew on my biggest trochus snail so he has a nice long, green wig now lol. I would love to try and get some!

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd you like it? They're awesome IME, they give you so much for such a good price.
Beautiful macro, nice dark green. He really gives you a good portion. Last week picked up something called rolled blade algae from a different seller. It is greenish brown also doing well.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxy Coral also known as Mysaltwaterfishstore. Please let me know when you can ship your string of pearls. I am in NJ.
Hey, so how is the rolled blade algae doing? That vendor has a couple more in stock and I was thinking about grabbing some. I'm also going to start selling some of the String of Pearls algae this week so definitely lmk if you're interested! :D

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so how is the rolled blade algae doing? That vendor has a couple more in stock and I was thinking about grabbing some. I'm also going to start selling some of the String of Pearls algae this week so definitely lmk if you're interested! :D
It was doing really well. The only CUC in the tank is an arrow crab. One day, he discovered it and every time I looked into the tank, he was ripping off a piece. Within two days, it was gone. It was a very nice bronze color. That was the only macro that he was interested in. Sure, LMK about the string of pearls

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m definitely interested in the string of pearls!!!

AlgaeLove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been on the search for a while for new, uncommon macros to add to my collection. I feel like I have found everything online retailers have to offer. So I was wondering if any fellow reefers had some rare or unusual macros they'd be willing to share/sell.

I already have a lot of reds including String of Pearls, Botryocladia (unsure what specific species, I think occidentalis), multiple dragon's breath halymenias, portieria, blue hypnea, bryothamnion, and other very common ones. Not getting greens right now until I start my 30 gal grow out tank, unless it is really uncommon or interesting.

Some macros I've been interested in but have been unsuccessful in finding:
-Red palm
-Chondria
-Laurencia
-Flamingo Feather
-Any type of scroll algae

Definitely let me know if you have any of these or something cool that's not listed! I have plenty of pictures on my build thread of what I already have and I'll leave a link to my WTB post that's a little more detailed.
Hello! So I ordered a few items from

they had some nice macros for good pricing. The only issue was the flamingo feather had some white residue on it and the halamidea walling variant came in a little sad.

the flamingo feathers I bought from them is doing really healthy for the most part.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I ordered a few items from

they had some nice macros for good pricing. The only issue was the flamingo feather had some white residue on it and the halamidea walling variant came in a little sad.

the flamingo feathers I bought from them is doing really healthy for the most part.
Yeah I actually tried them out too, about a month or two ago. I got the jointed tuft and flamingo feather. Unfortunately, the flamingo feather didn’t survive. I was going to try again sometime soon though! What kind of water flow and light intensity do you have it under?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back