Looking for new tank

phillipsjo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've had a nano tank for a year and love it but find myself wanting to buy more exotic fish and coral. I'm looking to buy a bigger tank but have some specs I am looking for as well. I'm looking for a tank that is large enough for multiple larger fish, but I can still maintain myself as far as having the right equipment and keeping clean. I also am not looking to take up a huge area of the house (considering my wife doesn't want a huge tank ). Are there any suggestions on tanks around maybe 60 gallons that anyone has? What size would you recommend? Would an AIO be the best option? Thanks!

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you consider "large fish"?

Large fish like tangs, foxface, angels, butterflies, etc need something closer to 100 gallons plus with 4 ft+ tanks especially if you want to keep multiple.

For a tank around 60 gallons, I think this is the biggest tank I would do in an AIO system without a sump. I would look into the Innovative Marine 50 cube or SR-60 or the Planet Aquarium Tideline 62 gallon lagoon. Both great options.

Personally, I would see if you can go larger to something like 100-120 gallons and get yourself the 4 foot tank that you can keep 2-3 "larger" fish in and give yourself room for corals and different ideas.

OP
OP
phillipsjo21

phillipsjo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Large fish like tangs, foxface, angels, butterflies, etc need something closer to 100 gallons plus with 4 ft+ tanks especially if you want to keep multiple.

For a tank around 60 gallons, I think this is the biggest tank I would do in an AIO system without a sump. I would look into the Innovative Marine 50 cube or SR-60 or the Planet Aquarium Tideline 62 gallon lagoon. Both great options.

Personally, I would see if you can go larger to something like 100-120 gallons and get yourself the 4 foot tank that you can keep 2-3 "larger" fish in and give yourself room for corals and different ideas.

Awesome, thanks! I guess not "large" fish, but fish a little bigger than my 2" clown and 2" damsel at the moment. And maybe keep a few more. I will check these out.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks! I guess not "large" fish, but fish a little bigger than my 2" clown and 2" damsel at the moment. And maybe keep a few more. I will check these out.
Yeah, you can definitely get some nice wrasses or even a dawrf angel that done grow bigger than 5ish inches for something like a 50-60 gallon. If you do plan on doing coral, I personally like something with a bigger footprint than height like a lagoon or some cubes. Gives you many more options for corals.

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been on nano tanks for the last 2 years (a 13.5, 5g, and a 10g - only the 13.5 made the move), I am in the process of setting up a 55g DT (65g total)... Despite being fresh into the cycle, I'm already wishing I went with something larger but am faced with the same constraints as you.

My perspective? Go with the biggest tank you can reasonably afford/is wife approved. There's such a variety of livestock that you can keep that while a yellow tang looks tempting, you can find 20 others with looks/personality. If you're dead-set on "larger" fish, find an LFS in the area that you can buy and grow out then exchange... Ideally with an aquascape that can be easily disassembled to make catching easier..

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perspective? Go with the biggest tank you can reasonably afford/is wife approved. There's such a variety of livestock that you can keep that while a yellow tang looks tempting, you can find 20 others with looks/personality. If you're dead-set on "larger" fish, find an LFS in the area that you can buy and grow out then exchange... Ideally with an aquascape that can be easily disassembled to make catching easier..

I agree with this.
Definitely go for the largest you can reasonably afford/fit. Even being my first foray into marine tanks.
When I first bought my tank in Jan 21, within 6 months I was wishing I had something larger to put bigger/more fish in.

I originally wanted a tank that was 4-6ft, but unfortunately I didn't have the space at the time. I still don't despite moving but if all goes well and to plan I'd love to get one when I buy my own place.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re talking about 60 or gallons I’d recommend an AIO like the SR60(I have one and like it a lot) or maybe a bit bigger like the SR80, both from Innovative Marine. I didn’t have much room and I have mine on top of one end of a computer desk, with extra bracing on the end that’s in the middle of the desk. If you have room I’d go with the stand that goes with it. Wish I’d had space myself. Needless , solid choices for a sump less system. I also have a hang on refugium on the back for chaeto. Here’s my tank for reference.
52705990-5E16-4838-B77D-54942E36287E.jpeg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fijicube, they have small to larger sizes, I like the look of the cube, it gives a "smaller" tank more depth front to back which is the best dimension. Also I think they are all low iron glass and relatively affordable, and probably on sale or will be soon.

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re talking about 60 or gallons I’d recommend an AIO like the SR60(I have one and like it a lot) or maybe a bit bigger like the SR80, both from Innovative Marine. I didn’t have much room and I have mine on top of one end of a computer desk, with extra bracing on the end that’s in the middle of the desk. If you have room I’d go with the stand that goes with it. Wish I’d had space myself. Needless , solid choices for a sump less system. I also have a hang on refugium on the back for chaeto. Here’s my tank for reference.
52705990-5E16-4838-B77D-54942E36287E.jpeg
Sorry for the sidebar in this conversation, but what are you using for the glass mounts for your corals on sides?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back