Looking for open water/top half swimmer

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Fang” blenny. Not “Gang” blenny you don’t want those types dealing, and doing swim byes!
LOL! I came here to suggest a fang blenny. Just got a striped fang blenny and it's gorgeous, peaceful, and swims through the middle/upper column all day. Hopefully he never decides to be a gang blenny. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am missing Blue in my mix up as well. Any perticular species of Chromis that you folks have experience with that did well for you solo?

You have a very good point also. At 4 fish I have a very good balance going and a very easily manageable bioload with a weekly water change and the protein skimmer. They all just seem to be at in harmony with each other right now as well. Risking that might not be worth it.

Think even adding a small gobie to the bottom would be a bad idea? Hear they have a lot of personality and I have a lot of space on the sand bead that's not being used.
How about a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair? They stay fairly small and are so cool to watch.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to pull the trigger on that Whitespotted Filefish, but still a bit apprehensive.

If it goes wrong I have a friend with a massive tank that can always take any fish that don't get along... Just a lot of work to catch them lol

LOL! I came here to suggest a fang blenny. Just got a striped fang blenny and it's gorgeous, peaceful, and swims through the middle/upper column all day. Hopefully he never decides to be a gang blenny. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

How about a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair? They stay fairly small and are so cool to watch.
You think a Orchid Dottyback would tolerate a Fang? Kind of similar body shape. I really like the Harptail.

Feel like a burrowing Goby is pretty safe. None of my current fish spend a lot of time on the sandbed except for lights out. The shrimp is another story. The Dottyback viciously attacks crustaceans. I put two peppermint shrimp in there and they were both torn to shreds in less than 48 hours. Even watched it try and eat one of my Red Tip Hermits.

Gets along great with his fish mates though. They will even swim together on occasion. 0 aggression between my fish right now.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to pull the trigger on that Whitespotted Filefish, but still a bit apprehensive.

If it goes wrong I have a friend with a massive tank that can always take any fish that don't get along... Just a lot of work to catch them lol

You think a Orchid Dottyback would tolerate a Fang? Kind of similar body shape. I really like the Harptail.

Feel like a burrowing Goby is pretty safe. None of my current fish spend a lot of time on the sandbed except for lights out. The shrimp is another story. The Dottyback viciously attacks crustaceans. I put two peppermint shrimp in there and they were both torn to shreds in less than 48 hours. Even watched it try and eat one of my Red Tip Hermits.

Gets along great with his fish mates though. They will even swim together on occasion. 0 aggression between my fish right now.
Yeah, catching them is the hardest part. Hopefully you won't have to though!

I really don't know about the dottyback - if it has so far been friendly with your other fish (poor shrimp though), I would think it would be ok to try? True they have a similar body shape, but the fang blennies are more open water swimmers than most dottybacks, so hopefully the blenny wouldn't be viewed as encroaching on the dotty's territory)...

I really wanted an orchid dottyback for that bright flash of purple but... so glad I didn't get one - considering I have a lot of inverts, some even trained to eat out of my hand (skunk cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp). Still a beautiful, cool fish though.

I think you'd enjoy a watchman goby - so much fun to see them interact with a pistol shrimp. Very peaceful. Some get larger than others (I want to say, of the watchmen, the yellow gets up to 4" - others will max out under that).
You can google which watchman gobies pair best with which pistol shrimp. My LFS often has YWG in stock already paired with tiger pistol shrimp. I think I would worry a little about your dotty trying to get at the pistol shrimp... but not sure. The goby would try to protect the shrimp, but can't really do more than open their mouth real wide and try to intimidate other fish. Not sure it's worth potential scuffles between the dotty and goby. :(

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, catching them is the hardest part. Hopefully you won't have to though!

I really don't know about the dottyback - if it has so far been friendly with your other fish (poor shrimp though), I would think it would be ok to try? True they have a similar body shape, but the fang blennies are more open water swimmers than most dottybacks, so hopefully the blenny wouldn't be viewed as encroaching on the dotty's territory)...

I really wanted an orchid dottyback for that bright flash of purple but... so glad I didn't get one - considering I have a lot of inverts, some even trained to eat out of my hand (skunk cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp). Still a beautiful, cool fish though.

I think you'd enjoy a watchman goby - so much fun to see them interact with a pistol shrimp. Very peaceful. Some get larger than others (I want to say, of the watchmen, the yellow gets up to 4" - others will max out under that).
You can google which watchman gobies pair best with which pistol shrimp. My LFS often has YWG in stock already paired with tiger pistol shrimp. I think I would worry a little about your dotty trying to get at the pistol shrimp... but not sure. The goby would try to protect the shrimp, but can't really do more than open their mouth real wide and try to intimidate other fish. Not sure it's worth potential scuffles between the dotty and goby. :(
You shared my thoughts exactly.

The Dottyback almost never leaves the rocks on the lower to mid level unless it's feeding time. Even then he darts out to grab food then runs back. He's active though hunting around the rocks picking at pretty much anything that moves. Stunningly beautiful and worth every penny (which relative to some fish I see wasn't much).

Having some water quality issues right now, but once that levels out I might take a chance and try a Goby and a Filefish and call it good on fish for this tank.

Not even going to risk the shrimp after the last attempt. That was an experiment in and of itself and after watching how my Dottyback even treats Hermits there is no way I am going to give it another expensive snack.

Hopefully it all works out, but if it does fail I luckily have a backup plan with my friend.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shared my thoughts exactly.

The Dottyback almost never leaves the rocks on the lower to mid level unless it's feeding time. Even then he darts out to grab food then runs back. He's active though hunting around the rocks picking at pretty much anything that moves. Stunningly beautiful and worth every penny (which relative to some fish I see wasn't much).

Having some water quality issues right now, but once that levels out I might take a chance and try a Goby and a Filefish and call it good on fish for this tank.

Not even going to risk the shrimp after the last attempt. That was an experiment in and of itself and after watching how my Dottyback even treats Hermits there is no way I am going to give it another expensive snack.

Hopefully it all works out, but if it does fail I luckily have a backup plan with my friend.
I hope it works out for you! But yes, good that you have someone who can/will take a fish if things go haywire.
And good on you for sorting out the parameters first before adding anything new. ;) Patience is difficult to have in this hobby sometimes when we have all these plans in our heads, lol! Filefish are super interesting looking - it would be a neat addition if it goes well!

Totally get why you're done with shrimp. I had no idea the dottybacks were so vicious towards inverts - which is really sad, because I agree that the orchid dottyback in particular is absolutley gorgeous! (Also can get them captive bred, which I appreciate). In my area, skunk cleaners are $40/each and fire shrimp are $50/each... so definitely very expensive snacks, considering the fish itself is only like $40! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I'd let one eat my hermit crabs though - they're jerks. Murderous hermits killed a few of my cerith and trochus snails.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works out for you! But yes, good that you have someone who can/will take a fish if things go haywire.
And good on you for sorting out the parameters first before adding anything new. ;) Patience is difficult to have in this hobby sometimes when we have all these plans in our heads, lol! Filefish are super interesting looking - it would be a neat addition if it goes well!

Totally get why you're done with shrimp. I had no idea the dottybacks were so vicious towards inverts - which is really sad, because I agree that the orchid dottyback in particular is absolutley gorgeous! (Also can get them captive bred, which I appreciate). In my area, skunk cleaners are $40/each and fire shrimp are $50/each... so definitely very expensive snacks, considering the fish itself is only like $40! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I'd let one eat my hermit crabs though - they're jerks. Murderous hermits killed a few of my cerith and trochus snails.
Here here on the hermit crabs. Saw one of my Red Tips dragging a Coralline covered Cerith Snail out of the sand yesterday and almost immediately pulled him out and put him in the back chamber. Watched them for a while and the crab determined the snail was too big for him and gave up. Maybe the Dottyback needs to try and munch on him again.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back