Looking for open water/top half swimmer

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So planning ahead for stocking my final choice for my 32 Gallon Biocube and I think I need some kind of small fish that likes to spend it's time at the top half of the tank or just swimming the open water.

Tank mates:

Orange Skunk Clown pair
Male Banggai Cardinalfish
Orchid Dottyback
Future Goby or Blennie
11 different Corals
Various snails and a couple hermit crabs

These fish all live very peacefully together with only the female clown chasing the male on occasion when he gets clingy.

Basically the only real estate not claimed is some rock work in the top half of the tank and the open water itself.

Thinking a Filefish, but that makes me nervous for my 11 different corals. Maybe a Possum Wrasse or Pinkline Wrasse, but worried it might clash with the Dottyback over rock space. Also thought mabey a girlfriend for the Cardinal, but that feels redundant and he tried to kill the last Cardial I out in there.

Thoughts? Suggestions? This purchase is still months out, just like to plan ahead.

Pic for a example of my rock work/hiding space. The Dottyback has like claimed the whole large middle rock for itself, though doesn't attack the other 3 fish every swimming around it. Seems to pretend like they aren't even there.

PXL_20220724_164925961.MP.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So planning ahead for stocking my final choice for my 32 Gallon Biocube and I think I need some kind of small fish that likes to spend it's time at the top half of the tank or just swimming the open water.

Tank mates:

Orange Skunk Clown pair
Orchid Dottyback
Future Goby or Blennie
11 different Corals

These fish all live very peacefully together with only the female clown chasing the male on occasion when he gets clingy.

Basically the only real estate not claimed is some rock work in the top half of the tank and the open water itself.

Thinking a Filefish, but that makes me nervous for my 11 different corals. Maybe a Possum Wrasse or Pinkline Wrasse, but worried it might clash with the Dottyback over rock space. Also thought mabey a girlfriend for the Cardinal, but that feels redundant and he tried to kill the last Cardial I out in there.

Thoughts? Suggestions? This purchase is still months out, just like to plan ahead.

Pic for a example of my rock work/hiding space. The Dottyback has like claimed the whole large middle rock for itself, though doesn't attack the other 3 fish every swimming around it. Seems to pretend like they aren't even there.

Honestly, I would personally stick to what you have if they’re all peaceful together. You have some aggressive fish that probably won’t enjoy being crowded compared to many of the more skittish/calm fish.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, I would personally stick to what you have if they’re all peaceful together. You have some aggressive fish that probably won’t enjoy being crowded compared to many of the more skittish/calm fish.
Agreed!

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank mates:

Orange Skunk Clown pair
Orchid Dottyback
Future Goby or Blennie
11 different Corals

Get a canary Benny , or any other gang blenny.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are good top water swimmers. Very active and hardy fish. They’re good eaters also.

Chromis and anthias are good (upper) open water swimmers for me.
The chromis might be better suited for your cube though.
I am missing Blue in my mix up as well. Any perticular species of Chromis that you folks have experience with that did well for you solo?
You have a very good point also. At 4 fish I have a very good balance going and a very easily manageable bioload with a weekly water change and the protein skimmer. They all just seem to be at in harmony with each other right now as well. Risking that might not be worth it.

Think even adding a small gobie to the bottom would be a bad idea? Hear they have a lot of personality and I have a lot of space on the sand bead that's not being used.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a solo blue green chromis who is the star of my tank. He is always out and about and loves to dart around during feeding time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am missing Blue in my mix up as well. Any perticular species of Chromis that you folks have experience with that did well for you solo?

You have a very good point also. At 4 fish I have a very good balance going and a very easily manageable bioload with a weekly water change and the protein skimmer. They all just seem to be at in harmony with each other right now as well. Risking that might not be worth it.

Think even adding a small gobie to the bottom would be a bad idea? Hear they have a lot of personality and I have a lot of space on the sand bead that's not being used.
You may get away with a goby but I would recommend staying cautious with the goby and the dottyback, they have the same areas for territory.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank mates:

Orange Skunk Clown pair
Orchid Dottyback
Future Goby or Blennie
11 different Corals

Whitespotted pygmy filefish are safe with corals.

Pinkstreak won't likely hang out the top or open water... they swim around rocks. The dottyback may not take kindly.

Fang blennys swim in open water (you mentioned blenny).

Chromis are prone to uronema so keep that in mind.

Springer damsels are another active fish.

You may have some clash/fighting as the fish age. My orchid dotty killed some fish once it was 1-2 years (can't remember exact age) but that is a pretty extreme case. My clowns started beating on things when they started spawning. Can always catch and remove though.

RuneScapeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're thinking blennies, I have a Smith's blenny (fang blenny) and I consider that fish a model citizen in my 46 bowfront. Very peaceful, but at the same time not afraid to defend himself.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're thinking blennies, I have a Smith's blenny (fang blenny) and I consider that fish a model citizen in my 46 bowfront. Very peaceful, but at the same time not afraid to defend himself.
I am more worried about the Dottyback attacking something that looks similar, then the Blennie giving it a venomous bite. Lol

Really thinking i cant think might be right.

With Fang Blennies or gobies I run the risk of conflict with the Dottyback.

Chromis or Damsel the clowns might loose it having a fish so closely related to them. Though the color and body shape are quite different from a clown.

It's all a unnecessary risk at this point besides the White Spot Filefish. Lol which who knows I might consider down the road. I love Filefish, just don't want to risk my corals.

I know everything in this hobby is a risk, but I also like to do my cost/benefit analysis and make a decision with the highest probability of success given my variables.

No way I will be able to catch that Dottyback with all of my rockwork. Lol not an option unless I am lucky. Besides he is the most beautiful fish in my tank IMO. Has hues of colors my eyes even have trouble seeing.

Just wanted to discuss the options and you all have been great.

RuneScapeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more worried about the Dottyback attacking something that looks similar, then the Blennie giving it a venomous bite. Lol

Really thinking i cant think might be right.

With Fang Blennies or gobies I run the risk of conflict with the Dottyback.

Chromis or Damsel the clowns might loose it having a fish so closely related to them. Though the color and body shape are quite different from a clown.

It's all a unnecessary risk at this point besides the White Spot Filefish. Lol which who knows I might consider down the road. I love Filefish, just don't want to risk my corals.

I know everything in this hobby is a risk, but I also like to do my cost/benefit analysis and make a decision with the highest probability of success given my variables.

No way I will be able to catch that Dottyback with all of my rockwork. Lol not an option unless I am lucky. Besides he is the most beautiful fish in my tank IMO. Has hues of colors my eyes even have trouble seeing.

Just wanted to discuss the options and you all have been great.
Ahh true, that makes sense. I don't have any Dottybacks at the moment (although those orchids are absolutely gorgeous and it's tempting). I don't know if it's just me, but my Tailspot blenny was the worst fish I could've bought. Constant attacking on my orange storm pair and Helfrichi firefish, and munching on my Cyphastrea. Trying catch him in a 25 gallon peninsula tank has been a nightmare lol

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh true, that makes sense. I don't have any Dottybacks at the moment (although those orchids are absolutely gorgeous and it's tempting). I don't know if it's just me, but my Tailspot blenny was the worst fish I could've bought. Constant attacking on my orange storm pair and Helfrichi firefish, and munching on my Cyphastrea. Trying catch him in a 25 gallon peninsula tank has been a nightmare lol
Yeah that sounds like it's going to be a pain.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can offer any advice, try catching your fish in the dark when they are asleep with a dark net and a head flashlight with a red color. Fish don't seem to see in the red spectrum very well like we can, dark net blends in, and if they are resting they are already sluggish and slow to respond.

Only tried this trick once with a Cardinal I had to give back and it worked great.

Can't use it on something like my Dottyback because he sleeps IN the rocks where I couldn't scoop him up.

RuneScapeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can offer any advice, try catching your fish in the dark when they are asleep with a dark net and a head flashlight with a red color. Fish don't seem to see in the red spectrum very well like we can, dark net blends in, and if they are resting they are already sluggish and slow to respond.

Only tried this trick once with a Cardinal I had to give back and it worked great.

Can't use it on something like my Dottyback because he sleeps IN the rocks where I couldn't scoop him up.
Appreciate it! I'll have to try with red light. I know where he sleeps at night, he kind of sticks out from the rocks but also wedges himself in a weird way. It's a more accessible spot in the tank so I may have some luck haha

LordHelm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whitespotted pygmy filefish are safe with corals.

Pinkstreak won't likely hang out the top or open water... they swim around rocks. The dottyback may not take kindly.

Fang blennys swim in open water (you mentioned blenny).

Chromis are prone to uronema so keep that in mind.

Springer damsels are another active fish.

You may have some clash/fighting as the fish age. My orchid dotty killed some fish once it was 1-2 years (can't remember exact age) but that is a pretty extreme case. My clowns started beating on things when they started spawning. Can always catch and remove though.
Springer damsel was very active in my tank. However, I had to trap him and bring him to my LFS. He was not a good tankmate

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springer damsel was very active in my tank. However, I had to trap him and bring him to my LFS. He was not a good tankmate

That is too bad... fish definitely vary a lot in personality. Mine has been with me 2 years I think now without any problems.

I guess worth noting is mine is the mostly blue form of springer which stays smaller and not the blue and black one. Even after two years this fish is tiny compared to my percula clowns, royal gramma, etc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back