Looking for opinions on my first build plan

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first reef tank. I have already ordered the IM AIO 50g Lagoon, but won’t get it until late November. So, I’m obsessively planning the build. This will be a mixed reef, starting with a few fish and adding some LPS and possible BTA once established. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

IM AIO 50g Lagoon
Stock return pump
IM skimmer - midsize
IM filter basket with floss, carbon, and MarinePure spheres
Current USA 2x 24in IC pro lights with Loop controller
Current USA 2x 1050 eFlux Wavemaker with module for Loop
Hygger 200w heater with digital thermometer
40 lb dry rock - Marco or Addictive Reef Keeping
40 lb live sand - Caribsea Pink Fiji
Duetto ATO
Red Sea test kit
Instant Ocean salt
Aquatic Life 4-stage RO/DI 75gpd

I’ll do a fish less cycle with Dr Tim’s one and only and dose Fritz ammonia. Once cycled, will start with 2 Ocellaris Clowns and small CUC from TCM(since I don’t have a q tank set up). Then add watchman goby and pistol shrimp next. Haven’t decided on other livestock beyond that.

What am I missing???

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
J

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good other than the lights you won’t be happy with them and they don’t grow corals well or anemones for that matter
Thanks for the input. Lights have been my biggest struggle. Since it is a shallow tank(16in), Current USA claims I would get 110 PAR on the sand bed, 200 at mid tank, and over 300 at 6 in below the surface. I can see where they might inflate their PAR chart, or maybe only if I’m running full output on all channels? Seemed like a good starting point, but maybe not.

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run those lights and they work just fine for my mostly soft corals and fish setup.

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Lights have been my biggest struggle. Since it is a shallow tank(16in), Current USA claims I would get 110 PAR on the sand bed, 200 at mid tank, and over 300 at 6 in below the surface. I can see where they might inflate their PAR chart, or maybe only if I’m running full output on all channels? Seemed like a good starting point, but maybe not.

Welcome to R2R! There is a ton of useful info on lighting options here. It will really depend on what you want to include in your system. Fish only, those lights will suffice. The would probably do well for Zoas and softies too. Anything beyond that, you'll want something with a bit more oomph. LEDs and T5s are good options, and lots of options in both categories. Do some searching through the forums here and you'll learn what will work best for you.

And I agree with Dbichler - be wary about "better" for a similar price.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first reef tank. I have already ordered the IM AIO 50g Lagoon, but won’t get it until late November. So, I’m obsessively planning the build. This will be a mixed reef, starting with a few fish and adding some LPS and possible BTA once established. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

IM AIO 50g Lagoon
Stock return pump
IM skimmer - midsize
IM filter basket with floss, carbon, and MarinePure spheres
Current USA 2x 24in IC pro lights with Loop controller
Current USA 2x 1050 eFlux Wavemaker with module for Loop
Hygger 200w heater with digital thermometer
40 lb dry rock - Marco or Addictive Reef Keeping
40 lb live sand - Caribsea Pink Fiji
Duetto ATO
Red Sea test kit
Instant Ocean salt
Aquatic Life 4-stage RO/DI 75gpd

I’ll do a fish less cycle with Dr Tim’s one and only and dose Fritz ammonia. Once cycled, will start with 2 Ocellaris Clowns and small CUC from TCM(since I don’t have a q tank set up). Then add watchman goby and pistol shrimp next. Haven’t decided on other livestock beyond that.

What am I missing???

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum. I have the same tank so if you have any questions I’m happy to help. Your equipment list looks pretty good. I have the CurrentUSA 1090 gph wavemakers and they worked well but they recently both conked out. The loop is a nice little system, I used the Bluetooth controller to run my wavemakers and my return pump which is also the 1090gph model. I agree with others about the lights. They will work for softies and lps. If your planning to do any sps you might be better served with different lights. Maybe do some more research before you buy if you haven’t already purchased the CurrentUSA’s. After living with my light choice for a while now I would have made a different choice if I had it to do over again.

OP
OP
J

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Lots of researching on this topic. Leaning towards the Aqamai LRM or Photon 24 v2+(Though it seems to be out of stock everywhere). If I go with the LRM, I’ll probably add the Aqamai KPS pumps.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Lots of researching on this topic. Leaning towards the Aqamai LRM or Photon 24 v2+(Though it seems to be out of stock everywhere). If I go with the LRM, I’ll probably add the Aqamai KPS pumps.
The Photon 24v2+ is what I would have chosen if I was doing this over. I have a Radion XR15 Gen 4 pro and there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s a great light. But with a 30“ wide tank it’s not enough and shadowing is a concern. The 24“ wide fixture with the Photon is perfect for a Lagoon 50. At some point I may even sell the Radion and switch. I’m not familiar with the Aquamai light so I’m not sure how it compares but you can’t go wrong with the Photon if you want to cover this tank and not spend $600-$800 to do it.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have seen, the Aqamai is comparable to the XR30 Pro or Photon in terms of par and spectrum. Similar price point to the Photon. Integrated app with the wave pumps. Looks like a good system.
I just looked it up. In my opinion you are much better off with the Photon, more power for sure. I think aquamai is pretty new to the lighting game unless I’ve just been missing them. They are much more well known for the wavemakers. You have some good options to consider. I’m sure you’ll make a good choice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back