Looking for opinions on overflow placement

Monkeysreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some opinions on internal overflow placement. I have been slowly piecing together my first tank and im at the point of drilling for my overflow my tank is a 40b and I have a lowpro 1000g overflow. I am trying to decide whether to mount it in the center or one of the sides of the back panel. I have came up with pros and cons both ways but I'm leaning to the center. what is you opinion and why?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some opinions on internal overflow placement. I have been slowly piecing together my first tank and im at the point of drilling for my overflow my tank is a 40b and I have a lowpro 1000g overflow. I am trying to decide whether to mount it in the center or one of the sides of the back panel. I have came up with pros and cons both ways but I'm leaning to the center. what is you opinion and why?
There are a lot of variables to consider.
What sort of aquascape and flow pattern are you planning? Where the overflow weir entrance is located should be factored into your flow plan to allow for surface skimming with the weir. This is easier with an end overflow, since surface flow can be directed mainly from the opposite end toward the weir. Central overflows can cause dead spots on either side in corners where flow is more difficult to achieve.

How is your tank setup going to be laid out? Do you care if the overflow is visible in the case of an end overflow (or do you plan to cover it with something decorative), or would you rather keep the overflow hidden on the back? If you chose the back panel, it may be better to have a corner overflow to avoid flow issues mentioned above. A lot of reefs are built with central overflows, though, so it is probably mostly a matter of your opinion with your specific plan.

Does your stand have plenty of room for placing the plumbing down from the overflow at any location, or are there braces or supports preventing certain placements? Think about what you plan to have in your sump, the order of the sections in the sump, and access into and around the sump when placing the overflow drains.

Where do you plan to feed the fish? If you feed too close to the weir, food may get sucked directly in if you do not shut off the return pump every time you feed (which is probably recommended anyhow).

For my 90-gallon reef I am currently planning, the decision was made easier for two main reasons: An end overflow will make it easier to plumb into the mangrove lagoon beside the 90-gallon reef, and if I happen to crack the glass while drilling the plumbing holes the piece broken is much smaller and cheaper to replace. This setup does leave the overflows revealed on the ends, though, and I may eventually want to block them with a decorative trim panel. By having the overflow on the end, I can return from the sump on the opposite end of the reef and keep the main surface flow moving toward the overflow to avoid places where scum collects on the surface. Another reason I considered this position is to keep my options open in the future if I ever have the chance to make this tank a peninsula with 3 sides viewable. This probably is not a strong consideration for your 40B.

I asked a similar question for my reef that you might check out for more considerations from other members: Weir Overflow Location
You may note that what is likely my final decision is not even one of the original options I included in the poll.

OP
OP
M

Monkeysreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soren thank you for your response. The reason I'm leaning to the center is in my head it would achieve surface skimming the best but was considered about dead spots on either side. I am dead set on all the plumbing being on the back panel. the way I designed my stand plumbing can run in just about any fashion without any issues. At the moment my plans is center overflow my return to the far left back panel and a gyre flow pump on the right side panel and then later add traditional flow pumps to combat any dead spots.

Attachments

• 20201114_160016.jpg
    20201114_160016.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20201117_223832.jpg
    20201117_223832.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201117_224320.jpg
    20201117_224320.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 41

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack your thread but I'm about to tackle this also so interested in the responses. Mine is a 6 foot 125. I was planning center back for the overflow and splitting the return with one on each side.

OP
OP
M

Monkeysreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack your thread but I'm about to tackle this also so interested in the responses. Mine is a 6 foot 125. I was planning center back for the overflow and splitting the return with one on each side.
Honestly I haven't got much feed back and I have posted in a few places. I ultimately decided to go with a center overflow. In my eyes it looks the best and in my head should perform the best. I also contemplated split returns to either side but on my 3ft tank just didn't seem to make sense. I will say tho if I was to run split returns I would run 1 pump to each for redundancy if one ever dies you will still have flow thru your sump.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I haven't got much feed back and I have posted in a few places. I ultimately decided to go with a center overflow. In my eyes it looks the best and in my head should perform the best. I also contemplated split returns to either side but on my 3ft tank just didn't seem to make sense. I will say tho if I was to run split returns I would run 1 pump to each for redundancy if one ever dies you will still have flow thru your sump.
That would be a good idea . Only thing is my sump will be in the basement so I need a pretty good $$ pump to deal with the head. I'm thinking a Pan World 200. They are supposed to be pretty bullet proof. I probably have a better chance of power going out in which case it won't matter.

OP
OP
M

Monkeysreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a good idea . Only thing is my sump will be in the basement so I need a pretty good $$ pump to deal with the head. I'm thinking a Pan World 200. They are supposed to be pretty bullet proof. I probably have a better chance of power going out in which case it won't matter.
Yeah I could see where that makes things a little more difficult. What about putting a smaller pump directly under the tank and making the 2nd return a closed loop system?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back