OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same time period and on/off times every day. I don't know what the actual duration of inhibition occurs and it's probably different for each acro.........par is a factor as well. I just know extra hours doesn't give me a benefit in growth or color.

You can watch your corals for signs.....like polyp extension on acros........ LPS won't be a inflated as they are trying to take in less light.

I wouldn't change durations over the weekend........consistency is important. I notice my acros start to show more polyp extension and the fish start to bed down about 10-15 minutes before lights go off.........they have an innter clock.

In earlier years I used to do 10 hours but over time I found there was no benefit.
Good point with the consistency, I’d prefer to keep it the same every day as well. If I can get away with 10 hours without any negative effects that would be ideal for my scenario. I would be okay with the trade-offs of electricity and a slightly earlier bulb switch in that case. I have been keeping a close eye on everything since the switch to watch for exactly those signs. So far so good. In fact my LPS seem a bit puffier to me since changing. I’ve also noticed an increase in ALK consumption. I use concentrated Reef Code A and B from powder and I was at 13 mL per day for alk on Friday when I switched the lights and now 4 days later I’m up to 16 mL per day plus about 12 mLs in bump ups just to keep consistent. So I’m thinking there will be some growth improvements too...hopefully! :D

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also mention that I have deep and wide tanks... 27x27 in one case which I light with a 24x24 optimum light. While the 7 or 8 hours might be OK for the corals in the direct path of the lights getting the most output, the extra time is likely a huge advantage for stuff in the periphery.

I have an Apogee 510. I get about 250 in the bottom corners and about 700+ about 8" under the water directly under the halides. It is a lot of light. I like the colors that it produces, which I think are legit and very lovely.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 hours should be ok.........plenty of people do it with success.
That is good to know!

I will also mention that I have deep and wide tanks... 27x27 in one case which I light with a 24x24 optimum light. While the 7 or 8 hours might be OK for the corals in the direct path of the lights getting the most output, the extra time is likely a huge advantage for stuff in the periphery.

I have an Apogee 510. I get about 250 in the bottom corners and about 700+ about 8" under the water directly under the halides. It is a lot of light. I like the colors that it produces, which I think are legit and very lovely.
That is the same PAR meter I used so I’m confident that the numbers I got should yield nice results. That is a good point about the stuff on the outer edge of the tank. And I concur that you have some very nice corals as does @Big E! Thank you both for the advice on the light switching. I did a switch from hybrid to full T5 years ago but I forgot what acclimation I did! All I know is I liked the results lol :p

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is slightly off topic, but how do you like the Apogee 510, @jda? I was chatting with another reefer last night and he mentioned that he uses an Apogee 510, as well. I'm considering purchasing one (for use with a pair of LED fixtures).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.5%
Back