Looking for opinions - thinking of switching from LED to T5

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the ati, the cheap fixtures and tetro fits don’t have the quality and reflectors and ballasts that will push par like the ati fixtures. I got close with an icecap ballast and cheap reflectors but with an ati maybe you can fit an or2 bar in there with it? That’s what I would do at least. I don’t like led for main lights but a good amount of blue LEDs with t5 or halide will really push the corals to look that much better ime.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the ati, the cheap fixtures and tetro fits don’t have the quality and reflectors and ballasts that will push par like the ati fixtures. I got close with an icecap ballast and cheap reflectors but with an ati maybe you can fit an or2 bar in there with it? That’s what I would do at least. I don’t like led for main lights but a good amount of blue LEDs with t5 or halide will really push the corals to look that much better ime.
Yeah if I go all in it would definitely be the ATI sunpower 6x24w. With the fixtures I posted do you think I can get at least an idea of the T5 performance for my tank? Just need some justification on my part before I commit.

WindyCityReefer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have an ATI NanoBox Retro (8bulb T5 converted to 6bulbs + 6 NanoBox arrays). I absolutely love the spread/blanket of light. Plus, I still have the shimmer from the LEDs. Don't think I would ever go back to a single light option. The hybrids cover a lot of bases.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have an ATI NanoBox Retro (8bulb T5 converted to 6bulbs + 6 NanoBox arrays). I absolutely love the spread/blanket of light. Plus, I still have the shimmer from the LEDs. Don't think I would ever go back to a single light option. The hybrids cover a lot of bases.
Mind posting a picture of the tank/setup?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this has been said, but why not both? A hybrid fixture would give you the power and control ability of the LEDs with the plug and play blanket coverage of the T5's

WindyCityReefer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind posting a picture of the tank/setup?

Sure!

IMG_1521.jpg

APC_0488.JPG

APC_0487.JPG

I know the fixture is overkill for the tank. It was originally made for a 75 gallon tank. Right now I am only using 2 of the 6 T5s, but plan to up it to 4 in the next week or so. Here are some photos of the fixture itself. The LEDs are the primary source of light and I supplement with the T5s for a couple hours in the middle of the day for peak intensity.

IMG_1431.jpg
IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1432.jpg

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this has been said, but why not both? A hybrid fixture would give you the power and control ability of the LEDs with the plug and play blanket coverage of the T5's
I sort of have a hybrid setup now with the XR15 and the two T5s. I like the concept but currently I think I could do better. Unfortunately with the dimensions of the tank and canopy I can’t really use any prebuilt hybrid fixtures like the aquatic life or Giesemann. Unless you were thinking something like an ATI 4x24w plus reefbrites?

I dumped the LED on one of my grow out tanks and replaced it with a 6 bulb t5. The light spread is so much better. The drawback is that t5s dont really give the color pop that LEDs do.
Cheers! Mark
How has the health/growth been in comparison? I don’t run my tank super blue but the LEDs do give that extra special look to some of the corals (especially zoas).

Sure!

IMG_1521.jpg

APC_0488.JPG

APC_0487.JPG

I know the fixture is overkill for the tank. It was originally made for a 75 gallon tank. Right now I am only using 2 of the 6 T5s, but plan to up it to 4 in the next week or so. Here are some photos of the fixture itself. The LEDs are the primary source of light and I supplement with the T5s for a couple hours in the middle of the day for peak intensity.

IMG_1431.jpg
IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1432.jpg
Very nice tank! Did you modify the fixture yourself?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want it all in a single package you could go with an ATI Power module. You get the advantage of the main lights being T5 and the pop from the LEDs for supplementation.

They're pricey but will look better over the tank than adding LED strips.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you have any questions. I researched a ton before deciding to go this route. Good luck!
Will do!

If you want it all in a single package you could go with an ATI Power module. You get the advantage of the main lights being T5 and the pop from the LEDs for supplementation.

They're pricey but will look better over the tank than adding LED strips.
The Powermodule is nice but a bit over my price point right now. Since it’s all enclosed in a canopy I’m not totally concerned with aesthetics of the fixture.

While the growth has been good, I miss the actinic pop that an LED adds
I feel like after trying LEDs this go around it would be weird to not have the pop but I may be able to get over it if the growth and natural color is there on all of the corals. I could always add a reefbrite or something if I find the color pop a huge factor.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody happen to have the Miro-4 LET retrofit kit in 24watt. I was wondering if they would fit lengthwise in my canopy and I could sandwich my XR15 between 4 T5s. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody happen to have the Miro-4 LET retrofit kit in 24watt. I was wondering if they would fit lengthwise in my canopy and I could sandwich my XR15 between 4 T5s. Thoughts?
So I found an exact measurement of the Miro-4 fixtures and it looks like it would be just too large for my canopy. :confused:

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I managed to borrow an Apogee MQ-510 from a colleague to check my PAR. With the Radion XR15 at 100% 14k spectrum plus 4 T5s (3 blue plus and 1 aqua blue special) on a WavePoint retrofit these were the numbers I got. What do you guys think and do you think that the ATI Sunpower would still provide me an advantage?

FB2A3D41-4217-49DF-A250-79076CC4ABEB.jpeg

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it happened. I got a 6x24w ATI Sunpower for Christmas. It should cover just about every square inch of water in the tank with light. I am thinking of running 3 blue plus and 3 coral plus and hanging it around 6-8 inches above the water. Any thoughts or comments about how the transition may go, bulb combo or lighting duration?

FD49D907-00B9-4D16-890D-8BC2324FE51F.jpeg
F499700E-0EE9-4D73-A2C8-73CFAB64AB10.jpeg

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it happened. I got a 6x24w ATI Sunpower for Christmas. It should cover just about every square inch of water in the tank with light. I am thinking of running 3 blue plus and 3 coral plus and hanging it around 6-8 inches above the water. Any thoughts or comments about how the transition may go, bulb combo or lighting duration?

FD49D907-00B9-4D16-890D-8BC2324FE51F.jpeg
F499700E-0EE9-4D73-A2C8-73CFAB64AB10.jpeg
My tank is going through pest issues at the moment, so I don’t have photos that I want to share, but I recently switched from four Radions to a 6-bulb ATI SunPower with a bulb combination of three Blue Plus bulbs and three Coral Plus bulbs. I’m quite surprised by how much of a difference the T5 fixture has made with regard to visual light diffusion. My tank seems so much brighter, and the difference in PAR measurements were negligible throughout the entire tank. Needless to say, I’m very happy with my decision.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is going through pest issues at the moment, so I don’t have photos that I want to share, but I recently switched from four Radions to a 6-bulb ATI SunPower with a bulb combination of three Blue Plus bulbs and three Coral Plus bulbs. I’m quite surprised by how much of a difference the T5 fixture has made with regard to visual light diffusion. My tank seems so much brighter, and the difference in PAR measurements were negligible throughout the entire tank. Needless to say, I’m very happy with my decision.
That’s great to hear! I am really hoping for more even lighting around the coral for hopefully better growth/coloration. Glad to hear the bulb combo sounds good too. How long do you run your lights and how far off the water?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back