Looking for Pearlberry Success stories under 100% leds

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the hardest time growing pearlberry since my switch over to leds (Radions with diffuser) from t5’s. It went from growing like a weed to basically zero growth. My colony is on it‘s last gasp and frags aren’t looking too good either. It’s been a slow decline over like 2 years. (Hopefully I can reverse the trend).

Someone please let me know it is possible to have a thriving pearlberry under 100% led.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could tell you with 100% certainty that the "pearlberry" I have is the real deal that's thriving. It's coloring and growing, and the seller ensures me it's the real one, but I question it when I look at the coloration. But it is growing well and looks better than the ugly green mess that it was.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have a pearl berry frag that has only washed out in color and has barely encrusted while other corals nearby have colored up and grown quick.

mine is right under all LEDs too. No idea why the pearlberry isn’t taking off like the rest..
D74C8F87-8BD6-4B22-963B-928E1B2C2B16.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local tank maintenance company had PB in most of their accounts. Lost about 90% of it when they switched to LEDs years ago. It is not impossible, but it is harder - I truly believe this.

All of this said, I have seen one that I know is 100% legit that is under LED only and the size of a cantaloupe, but not Radion.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what you run , spectrum photoperiod, intensity ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mirkus

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
original colony is probably at 400-500 (might be a little high) if had to guess and frags are at 200-300.

radions are at 87% with diffusers ab+

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If want something similar, a boomberry from boomcorals will grow and color nicely under just leds. Probably one of the few almost bullet proof acros ive had.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not take this personally. This is a real thing, IMO. This is what have given way to so many "fake" pearlberry frags. This happened with the Purple Monster, too... not impossible, but harder and people had die off after years of success.

Any OG coral that has gone up in value generally has this trend. The ones that are easy to grow recently like WD, Fox Flame, etc. go down in value, but Pink Panter, Pearlberry, OG PM, etc. go up in value and some are getting nearly impossible to find.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mirkus Going through my pics right now I just found the vendor pic of my PB and it looked exactly like it when I received it. It's just amazing how much it changed since being in my tank.

Ora Pearlberry.jpg

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running only leds needs to get ahold of a par meter. Most of the time that someone reports issues with leds is low par.

Happened to me too. Everyone says that leds are much more intense than you think they are...Not always the case.

I thought that I was in the 300 par range and it turned out that I was in the 80-100 par range. I had to MAX OUT my hydra26hd to see a reversal. I then added another Hydra26hd so that I didn’t have to have the original maxed out.

I now have a reefi extreme and have more par than I need, which allowed me to raise it up and decrease shadowing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back