Looking for pellet food that will sink slowly

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, I am a university student, so I am absent for long periods of time (during holidays for example). I use an auto feeder with a mixture of some pellet food and flakes to feed my tank while away. I normally only feed pellets, specifically formula 1 and formula 2 pellets, along with some spirulina pellets. The issue is that these pellets sink really fast, as a result my clownfish are unable to catch them in time, thus, only my dragonet eats in the end. I included brineshrimp flakes in my mixture to manage to feed my clownfish.

My problem is that even if I am absent for just a week, my phosphates raise really quickly resulting in algae blooms. I am definitely overfeeding using the feeder, but I do not extremely overfeed, I am pretty confident that the flakes are causing the phosphate raise. So, I am looking for some pellet food that will sink but at the same time have a density similar to that of water, in order for it to sink slowly and not just drop immediately to the bottom. (To replace the flake food)

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issues as you. Best I have found that sink at a consistent and reasonable rate dry are the New Life Spectrum pellets. Both the Red and regular ones drift down. Cannot say for sure about other formulas.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Greetings, I am a university student, so I am absent for long periods of time (during holidays for example). I use an auto feeder with a mixture of some pellet food and flakes to feed my tank while away. I normally only feed pellets, specifically formula 1 and formula 2 pellets, along with some spirulina pellets. The issue is that these pellets sink really fast, as a result my clownfish are unable to catch them in time, thus, only my dragonet eats in the end. I included brineshrimp flakes in my mixture to manage to feed my clownfish.

My problem is that even if I am absent for just a week, my phosphates raise really quickly resulting in algae blooms. I am definitely overfeeding using the feeder, but I do not extremely overfeed, I am pretty confident that the flakes are causing the phosphate raise. So, I am looking for some pellet food that will sink but at the same time have a density similar to that of water, in order for it to sink slowly and not just drop immediately to the bottom. (To replace the flake food)

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
For me- Doctor Bassleer from BRS and Omega one garlic pellets

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a feeding ring and floating food will soak up water and slowly sink. This way it keeps the food from go down the overflow. Something similar to this. There are various size and shape you can get for a few cents to dollars. Various way to attach them to the wall of your aquarium. I find suction cups to be of poor function. Hard attachment to the rim or hood are much better.
1690982094354-96de3d0c33824fa084bca5325eef0e2c-goods.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a feeding ring and floating food will soak up water and slowly sink. This way it keeps the food from go down the overflow. Something similar to this. There are various size and shape you can get for a few cents to dollars. Various way to attach them to the wall of your aquarium. I find suction cups to be of poor function. Hard attachment to the rim or hood are much better.
1690982094354-96de3d0c33824fa084bca5325eef0e2c-goods.jpeg
Thank you for the suggestion. The summer is already over and I managed to get through without messing my nutrients. I sieved the fine dust of the flake food mixed it with some pellets and it worked out great.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Otohime Pellets. Great all-around food. I do try to feed my tank a variety of food. I get them in bulk at Reed Mariculture. You can order smaller packages also, but at other outlets. I ordered 2 kg at a time that last me for a year of so. I keep it in the freezer until take it out into smaller container to use. They sink slowly. I have not seen anybody with healthier fish than mine. Some as healthy, but never healthier.
mccoskeri2018051801resized-jpg.747990

solorensisfairy2018082701-jpg.823228

purpletang2018062101-jpg.838757

bluethroatfairy2019040401-jpg.1040383

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDO pellets from reef nutrition (they are the algae top dressed version of the reed mariculture. T(top) D(dressed) O(otohime) . They are absolutely the bomb.com , I've gotten 2 wild mandarins to eat them and haven't found a creature that doesn't love them. Can't recommend them enough

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back