Food that sinks to bottom?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes. I have 2 clownfish that are aggressive eaters - no matter what type of foods I feed them they go crazy and chase and consume all the food, which there's very limited, or no extra food going to the bottom. [Probably explains why Nitrates and Phosphates are Ultra Low too as there's no wasted food].

I have a few Skunk Cleaner Shrimps and bottom feeders such as snails, crabs.....I want to ensure there's some form of actual food for them too, so because of what I explained up top, there's no food at the bottom for them to find and graze on.

I'm reaching out here to determine if there's a specific food type - pellet/flakes that would sink *immediately* to the bottom. I tried a slow sinking pellet, and other pellets that are suppose to sink, but they end up floating very long before actually sinking.

Thanks

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
soak the food in tank water for a few minutes before adding it to the tank to waterlog the food so it sinks faster. I never sprinkle food on top my water, even flake I force it under so it sinks and does not float, but I have stand pipe overflows and I prefer the food to remain in the tank, not the sump.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
soak the food in tank water for a few minutes before adding it to the tank to waterlog the food so it sinks faster. I never sprinkle food on top my water, even flake I force it under so it sinks and does not float, but I have stand pipe overflows and I prefer the food to remain in the tank, not the sump.
Thanks - I just tried that......it works, but if I don't turn off all the pumps and flow the flakes swirl and go in circles around the tank - turning off the pump doesn't help as in both scenarios the crazy clownfish see and gobble up all the flakes. So frustrating!

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari Marine A pellets are good sinkers. These sticks would work too Good luck
IMG_9789.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave my pumps on for feeding, they can't possibly catch all the food with the pumps on. If flakes blow around in circles, then it helps you fix you powerheds to get more random flow, rather than just circular flow.

If pumps are off, then food never gets to the bottom, thats what I stopped doing it that way.

PS - try adding more foods to the diet, such as some frozen foods, so many choices.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back