Looking for professional advice on cycling

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the saltwater world but have had multiple freshwater tanks over the years so pls be nice needing help with cycling and how much of one I really will have to go there. I’m setting up a small 13.5 evo. I’m trying to use the best product for the best result well I’m hoping . So this is the list of products I’m working with wondering if adding a clown fish and Coraline Algae in a bottle after a day or two once water clears?

caribSea arag- alive Fiji pink
Natures ocean nutri-seawater natural live
Aquamaxx dry rock
Fluval Bacteria enhancer
Coraline algee in a bottle

bud217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time and let the tank cycle on it's own. Don't put a fish in there too help it along. As far as coraline goes...I wouldn't put that bottle in there. It will come naturally with time off it gets introduced on a coral or something.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you did add the bottle it would be a waste. Coraline will only start growing as the tank matures.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I Obviously jump the gun with the Coralline algee in a bottle I purchased the purple strand if you guys know anyone that’s interested I will have one within a day or two. Currently in shipping. I’m located in Mesa az

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria and an ammonia source for about a week and then test. @brandon429 likes to talk about cycling.

As for the algae in a bottle I wouldn't hesitate to dump that sucker in but I would wait atleast until your cycle is over and you do your large water change. Note the exp. date on the bottle and just use before that. Sure coralline only grows as the tank matures but I would argue a tank matures because coralline algae is growing. Nothing wrong with dropping that in after your cycle is done.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if someone wants the lowest possible headache system as opposed to the highest possible headache system in a 13 nano they will get at least five pounds of the cleanest nicest coralline true live rock from a pet store, and add it to any working combination of other rocks.

if the all dry route is preferred, and same day fish-in cycling which by the way can be done with nh3 control, I wouldn't use the bacteria above. I'd use the ones tested out for one day in Dr. Reef's bottle bac thread which are fritz refrigerated and biospira

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m starting with Caribsea Fiji pink live sand, fluval bacteria enhancer, aquamaxx dry rock and nature’s oceans nutri-seawater natural live. What can I expect for a cycling time line?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in any system running fish in cycles using the proven safe bac, disease is what gets the fish within 8 mos not cycling issues. in your case test for ammonia going down, after you've dosed some up for the specific ready time. that's untested bacteria in our work threads, but still viable I bet.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
estimate ten days time...that's average among all cycling bac in a bottle. meaning add it to your tank, add a pinch of flake food, wait ten days, change water for new, its cycled. Ive never seen one of those fail ever not once.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m starting with Caribsea Fiji pink live sand, fluval bacteria enhancer, aquamaxx dry rock and nature’s oceans nutri-seawater natural live. What can I expect for a cycling time line?
1-2 weeks. Never used fluval branded bacteria and as brandon pointed out, its not the "higher end" stuff.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks guys lots of helpful info. If I do go the fish food route for my ammonia spike instead of fish in cycling any fish food ok or does it pacifically need to be for saltwater?

ThemytB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 tip if you happen to use API test kit as so many do, test new clean saltwater with the ammonia test and note the color(this is the color you are looking for in the future)--the API ammonia test kit color card has an inaccurate zero color.

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people still cycle with shrimp or fish food anymore? It seems dated, you need ammonia to get the bacteria going, why dump a shrimp or food in and wait for it to decay (disgusting) when you can just add the exact right dosage of Ammonium Chloride.

Use Dr. Tim's or Fritz Zyme Turbo Start, add ammonium chloride per instructions, and monitor. Dr. Tim's has the best day by day chart on what to look for and what to do.

And why rush cycling? Learn patience now, take your time and cycle it right and your building the foundation for a successful tank. It might take two weeks or longer to cycle it correctly but who cares, take your time.

Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back