Looking for recommendations test kits

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Living in Australia so looking for some recommendations around testing tank chems

Currently have to take my water to the LFS to get a saltwater spin test every time I want to know my tank stats it’s frustrating

And I’m not prepared to pay $4.5k on a spin test machine

Looking for an affordable way to test my water for calc, mag & Alk without breaking the bank

Found one recently called Hannah checker
3 modules plus regents totaling $400 which was decent has anyone used these before or use anything else that’s super accurate?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Living in Australia so looking for some recommendations around testing tank chems

Currently have to take my water to the LFS to get a saltwater spin test every time I want to know my tank stats it’s frustrating

And I’m not prepared to pay $4.5k on a spin test machine

Looking for an affordable way to test my water for calc, mag & Alk without breaking the bank

Found one recently called Hannah checker
3 modules plus regents totaling $400 which was decent has anyone used these before or use anything else that’s super accurate?
Titration tests for alkalinity are accurate enough and not expensive. Red Sea is a one reagent test and the end point is not to difficult to see. Ditto for magnesium test. Calcium kits are also titration methods, straightforward and not expensive. If you hate hands on chemistry, the Hanna Checker might be for you. Three individual Checkers would be cheaper than the $400 dollar version.

OP
OP
DJC

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titration tests for alkalinity are accurate enough and not expensive. Red Sea is a one reagent test and the end point is not to difficult to see. Ditto for magnesium test. Calcium kits are also titration methods, straightforward and not expensive. If you hate hands on chemistry, the Hanna Checker might be for you. Three individual Checkers would be cheaper than the $400 dollar version.
Yeah I seen the Hannah ones in my LFS and they seem pretty easy to use and digital results is by far much better than physically looking with your own eye for interpretation of the colour bar on your manual test kits :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back