Looking for shark eggs

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: huge shout-out to Polly's pets in san Antonio. They were able to get me a healthy egg within a week at a very reasonable price. They also might still have an extra if anyone in the san Antonio tx area is interested.
Awesome news and congrats! Please keep everyone posted on your progress with the new shark!

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to follow along on this thread, I'm picking up my shark egg tomorrow from my local LFS. I hatched one several years ago and it was an amazing experience. Keep in mind, getting it to eat after the yolk is depleted gets very challenging. I finally found something he would eat and ended up bringing some to my LFS to try to get their to eat and it worked. But now I can't remember if it was squid or octopus he finally took to, may have to look up one of my old posts. Keep us posted!
Sue

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would love anyone's thoughts/experience with hatching it in the destination tank or hatching it in a separate vessel? Last time I hatched it in the destination tank but ended up catching it and moving it to it's own tank so I could try to get it to eat. Then back into the original tank a few weeks later. Wonder if all that moving causes too much stress on the animal.
Sue

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would love anyone's thoughts/experience with hatching it in the destination tank or hatching it in a separate vessel? Last time I hatched it in the destination tank but ended up catching it and moving it to it's own tank so I could try to get it to eat. Then back into the original tank a few weeks later. Wonder if all that moving causes too much stress on the animal.
Sue
I plan on feeding ghost shrimp starting out. And moving to frozen shrimp/ squid and cheap live fish. Also its first tank is a 40 breeder. Then a 36"x24"x18". And ultimately a 8'x4'x2' 478 gal

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I thought the shark looked about ready to hatch. When I got the egg peeled, the outer film off the opposite side to see the underside of the shark and check the yolk sack. It is completely absorbed and healed up. So tonight we are going to ""hatch it"". (Open one end a bit and let it do the rest) we will be taking a video and pictures for all to enjoy.

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby lenny is here!!! We failed miserably at taking a video. After several attempts we gave up and as soon as we stopped recording on the last attempt it darted right out of the egg. Seems to be very healthy and is quite active.

Attachments

• PXL_20230215_044041772.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230215_044041772.MP.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Little lenny is doing fantastic! He is eating well and is very active at night. Still trying to get a good video of him eating.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back