Looking for suggestions on 60 inch sump

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I've used filter socks on other tanks and didn't want to on this one. Sounds like you want them though :)

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any 60 inch sumps on the Trigger website.

As far as the Custom Aquariums seamless sumps, my custom 265 tank is currently being built by them.

I wanted to get the sump from them too, but just couldn’t get past the look of them. They are really hideous looking. I realize the functionality is probably best with these, but I just can’t stand the sight of having to look at that all the time.

Hmm I thought they did, my bad! I gotta be honest, I personally think sumps are way over priced for something that most people don't even see. For my next build I'm custom making everything. Good luck on your search!

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this? I used an off the shelf aquariums for my sump and my mix tank.

MVIMG_20190712_182636.jpg

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't build my sump and I am finding out that it is very basic but seems to work. 1st chamber is socks, 2nd has ato, skimmer and heater, 3rd is pumps. The baffle between 1 and 2 is solid. The baffle between 2 and 3 has filter media under it. So, 2 pieces of glass and some silicone can turn any aquarium into a sump. I've obviously done other stuff to mine but this is the basic concept. If you can find a 60" aquarium, you are good to go. I'm laughing as I draw this by hand but I am changing computers...

IMG_20190713_010534.jpg

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't build my sump and I am finding out that it is very basic but seems to work. 1st chamber is socks, 2nd has ato, skimmer and heater, 3rd is pumps. The baffle between 1 and 2 is solid. The baffle between 2 and 3 has filter media under it. So, 2 pieces of glass and some silicone can turn any aquarium into a sump. I've obviously done other stuff to mine but this is the basic concept. If you can find a 60" aquarium, you are good to go. I'm laughing as I draw this by hand but I am changing computers...

IMG_20190713_010534.jpg

So the 2nd and 3rd chamber stay at the same level?

How stable does your salinity stay? This seems like a large area for the ATO.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 2 and 3 are same level. This is my first salt water tank and it's 2 yrs old. First year was a ton of learning (thank you R2R) and I feel like I've been a successful reefer for about a year with this setup. I say I'm noob because I don't keep difficult corals, dose, etc. I check basic params weekly and do regular water changes. It is stable IMO but the experts may have a higher standard :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Triton 44 or custom sump. Mine is 74" custom and well worth all the space.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built my own 60" sump. Got just what I wanted at a good price.

60sump.jpg

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you run filter socks with a full siphon without having to maneuver the filter socks around the pipe. I’m not talking about the sumps with a baffle that forces the water up and over into the next chamber of socks.

How do you add socks to a diy sump and have the over flow go directly into the sock without having to put your whole hand into the water?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a Different DIY Oddball Design I did for my Sump.
Much smaller than what you need, but some idea's for you to think about (if you go Custom Built).

Been running for 3+ years and still Very happy (after previous Off The Shelf Sump, and simple Rubbermaid Tub).
Currently this sump supports a 110G SPS/Fish Tank no problem. The baffle design lets me do Auto Water changes as well. (Just installed the DIY Water Changer )

Sump has a built in Algae Scrubber (Upflow) that's a section within SUMP which is right after Filter Sock Compartment (Flow wise).
The rest of the sump is typical (Skimmer Section, Return Section, and a Raised Wall Corner Refuge)

This is the Design Sketch (I used a 35 Gallon Stock Tank, and added Baffles)
2019-07-16_SumpDesign-1.jpg

Looks like this (tightly packed 35 Gallon Sump)....It's RAISED on 2x4 stand, so I have easy Maintenance Access.
2019-07-16_SumpTopView.jpg

This is the Algae Scrubber Section (Screen and Side Glass window/Portal)
2019-07-16_SumpAlgaeScrubber.jpg

Where I installed one of these LED Types Grow PANELS (that grows Algae like Nuts, when Nutrients High)
https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-See...ed+grow+panel&qid=1563261313&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Sealed an working Scrubber looks like this (Photo Below):
NOTE: No additional Pumps needed to Run Scrubber.
Passthru FLOW from Tank Return
(Splitter Baffle in between sends water (DOWN, then UP) before entering Skimmer Section).
That section traps Large Detritus such that Skimmer Section is only fine dust detritus.

2019-07-16_SumpAlgaeScrubber2.jpg

Since the Photo above shows the Filter Sock (My Sock Holder Design is unique from some other Designs). I hang the SOCK below the water line.
Gravity of water falling and flow still catches stuff in Sock, but SOCK can't ever plug, and allows some nutrients/and Live Copepods to not get trapped (they can escape)

The Algae Scrubber does work in this Built-IN Upflow/Screen Design.
2019-07-16_AlgaeScrubberHarvest2.jpg

I actually grow two kinds of Algae in the compartment.
(Macro/Hair on Screen [Above], and Loose Floating Cheato )

The Refuge section runs from a maxijet Pump that fills it (from Skimmer Compartment), and it drains into the Return Section.
That Same Maxijet T-off and run my Media Reactor for GFO or Carbon.

ONE REASON the REFUGE COMPATMENT is Higher than reset of Sump Sections (is to MAXIMIZE SUMP space use...BUT allow those other Sections to have enough Capacity to handle a Power Failure, which leads to a Tank Siphon Drain)

Refuge itself served many purposes over time: Tried Pure Deep Sandbed Refuge. Tried just using it Just for Extra Water Volume...
and NOW just using it for Natural Filtration with Sand Bed/ Extra Live rock and a Couple of Fish and CUC (since SPS tank is Glass Bottom)
2019-07-16_SumpRefugeFireFish.jpg

This the Sump....installed and Running in my Fish Room (Back side of 110G in-wall Office Tank).
(Note to not confuse anyone: Under the 110G tank is another RED Glowing Simple Rubbermaid-Tub Sump, but that's for another Tank Upstairs)
2019-07-16_SumpInstalledFishRoom.jpg

All the best on whatever you decided for your setup.
Choosing/Installing or building a Sump is exciting, fun and very rewarding.

If still confused (with my Babble Talk)
....Here is a YOU TUBE VIDEO of (TEST RUN of EarlyProtoType) of Sump during Design/build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI_HJ9nDyc8&t=3s

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back