Looking for suggestions on 60 inch sump

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of deciding on a 60 inch sump for my 265 gallon in-wall build.

I'd like a sump to fill up the 60 inches or so of length under the tank.

I will be running a Marine Marine overflow with three 1.5" drain pipes, an algae scrubber, skimmer and the option of using socks or roller pad.

I would love to hear from others which sump you chose in this size and how do like it.

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you heard of crystal reef aquatics? They have a few options in that size and very frequently do custom work.

Other than them or maybe synergy or geo, I'm not sure of many manufacturers that have stock sku’s for that length. Not that they don’t exist, I’m just not aware of them.

Hope this helps!

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud and I have teamed up to create CWT Aquatics. We are building sumps designed to hold either a Clear Water or Turbo algae scrubber. Anything over 40” would be custom tho. If you are interested, shoot either of us a pm and we can get you a pricing quote over.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud and I have teamed up to create CWT Aquatics. We are building sumps designed to hold either a Clear Water or Turbo algae scrubber. Anything over 40” would be custom tho. If you are interested, shoot either of us a pm and we can get you a pricing quote over.

Algae scrubbers are pretty simple and easy to just sit on top of a refugium or skimmer section on a sump.

What benefit is there to build a scrubber into a sump besides aesthetics?

Do you have any pictures you could post of some that you have built?

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae scrubbers are pretty simple and easy to just sit on top of a refugium or skimmer section on a sump.

What benefit is there to build a scrubber into a sump besides aesthetics?

Do you have any pictures you could post of some that you have built?

These are specifically designed to hold the scrubber. No need to figure out how to mount them or what to mount them with.

177cb199ad9222b6e8f60f098dd16391.jpg
ffdfcfa3946ed91c0aa49641d51f6c6b.jpg
f5c784dc887428a1e0d4e8e26fa04825.jpg

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got a quote from Geo’s Reef for a 60 inch sump in the same configuration as Fish of Hex’s sump and it was literally triple the pricing of a similar setup from other manufacturers such as Synergy Reef.

I’m sure the quality and craftsmanship is great but I’m sure Synergy Reef’s is too.

It is completely outrageous pricing that I cannot justify.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very pleased with my Synergy Reef TS26, they have 60" models with or without filter socks. I tried contacting Crystal Reef Aquatics several times and never got a response but their stuff looks nice.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very pleased with my Synergy Reef TS26, they have 60" models with or without filter socks. I tried contacting Crystal Reef Aquatics several times and never got a response but their stuff looks nice.

Yeah, sometimes it can take Julian a bit to get back to you, but I’ve gotten quotes from him before for custom work and I always found the price very reasonable.
One time while in store I actually bought one of their prototype “Stealth” sumps before they finalized the design. I’ve been very happy with it.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’m partial to the aesthetics of Synergy’s sumps over Crystal Reef’s. Crystal Reef’s look too much like a futuristic spaceship to me. Just my opinion.

I don't use Triton, but went with the Triton style sump anyways because I don't use filter socks. I use ATI essentials so the dosing fittings on the sump are still useful to me, I also have my ATO connected to one. They have good communication, before I ordered they added an extra fitting in the return section for me and were easy to work with.

Someone can make the best product in the world, but if they can't respond when I'm trying to give them money...

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use Triton, but went with the Triton style sump anyways because I don't use filter socks. I use ATI essentials so the dosing fittings on the sump are still useful to me, I also have my ATO connected to one. They have good communication, before I ordered they added an extra fitting in the return section for me and were easy to work with.

Someone can make the best product in the world, but if they can't respond when I'm trying to give them money...

Can you post some pictures of you sump? I’d love to see it.

As far as the no socks version, I’m kind of leaning towards getting the socks even if I don’t use them because if I did ever need to put socks in for whatever reason, the sock holder would be there.

Even if I don’t plan on using socks, is there any reason to not go with with built in sock holders other than aesthetics?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like trigger sumps or seamless sumps from custom aquariums. I have a trigger now and had a seamless in the past. Seamless is great in almost all aspects imo except that you can't see through them, so cleaning them can be a little tricky.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pictures of you sump? I’d love to see it.

As far as the no socks version, I’m kind of leaning towards getting the socks even if I don’t use them because if I did ever need to put socks in for whatever reason, the sock holder would be there.

Even if I don’t plan on using socks, is there any reason to not go with with built in sock holders other than aesthetics?

I wanted a refugium and I’m limited on space so the Triton style was the best fit for me.
5A80F599-A4B8-4ECB-A4C3-35600356FD74.jpeg

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a refugium and I’m limited on space so the Triton style was the best fit for me.
5A80F599-A4B8-4ECB-A4C3-35600356FD74.jpeg
That’s a nice setup with the chaeto.

How is it with detritus and debris build up without the socks?

I plan on using a scrubber instead of chaeto since I’ve had such good experiences with my current Turbo Algae Scrubber.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the detritus settles in the refugium area, but there's still visible bits blowing through the display. My preference is to not filter it out as I figure stuff in the display will consume it if it can. I could probably add a sponge to the trap between the return and skimmer section if I wanted to eliminate it.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like trigger sumps or seamless sumps from custom aquariums. I have a trigger now and had a seamless in the past. Seamless is great in almost all aspects imo except that you can't see through them, so cleaning them can be a little tricky.

I don’t see any 60 inch sumps on the Trigger website.

As far as the Custom Aquariums seamless sumps, my custom 265 tank is currently being built by them.

I wanted to get the sump from them too, but just couldn’t get past the look of them. They are really hideous looking. I realize the functionality is probably best with these, but I just can’t stand the sight of having to look at that all the time.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the detritus settles in the refugium area, but there's still visible bits blowing through the display. My preference is to not filter it out as I figure stuff in the display will consume it if it can. I could probably add a sponge to the trap between the return and skimmer section if I wanted to eliminate it.

If you did have the space, would you have chosen the version with sock holders so you could run them as needed?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back