Looking for T5 fixture for refugeum

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a T5 refugeum fixture that's dual bulb (one blue one white) and only about 12-14 inches long?

As per email correspondence with Triton they recommend a T5 refugeum light that is 50% white and 50% blue. I'm having a tough time finding one, Plenty of LED options but no T5's.

OP
OP
S

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s do not come that short. Check out some CFL lights... will be fine for a refugium.

I asked Triton about compact florescent and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. They basically said my Kessil H80 is only good for growing chaeto.

They said "In short, only T5 lighting provides all of the spectrum required for optimal growth of all algae. Your current light may grow chaetomorpha well but other, very important, algae may struggle and your system will be limited over time."

So unless they say CF is ok they recommend I find a T5 fixture that will fit over a 10 gallon refugeum. I planned on following the Triton Method to the letter but I think it might impossible for me to follow this part. Unless I buy a 24" fixture and wrap half of it in duct tape or something. I'd rather not have algae growing in my entire sump.

Of all the requirements to running Triton Method I really didn't think my Kessil H80 would be the problem.

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the spectrum, I have a hard time believing an h80 would not grow anything photosynthetic. Ive grown all kinds of herbs and veggies under similar red and blue LEDs just fine, and have seen other reefers grow culerpula under purple light as well.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just thinking. They used to make a 10 gallon with a hood that held two CFLs. They would grow anything. Even babytears. A very hard to grow carpeting plant. Used 75 watt equivalent daylight white bulbs.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back