Looking for ultra strong bonding material for colonies.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miemaes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Miemaes

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2023
Messages
296
Reaction score
161
Location
Longmont
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.
One of my frogspawn colonies broke off at the base. It has 10 heads and I think it grew too heavy for the original material that I bonded it with to the rock. I used a two component JB waterweld epoxy with superglue on both sides (coral side + rock side).
Is there anything stronger out there/faster setting? The epoxy putty stays soft for too long and can’t hold the weight of the coral colony in place before it hardens fully.I momentarily placed it in the sand as I got frustrated. My fingertips full of superglue and epoxy putty with zero result 🫩 I know… should have used gloves.

IMG_7750.jpeg
 
I would use the Tunze coral putty (the container that has the white putty on one side and purple putty on the other end). It's not cheap, but I found it has worked best for me. By "best" I mean it's the least crappiest epoxy. None of them are going to blow your socks off.

You can vary the amount of white putty (the hardener) as you kneed the two compounds together. Use more and the mixture sets faster. Use less and the mixture sets slower.
 
I don't know if this will help. But sometimes I take a piece of rubble the appropriate size and shape and drill a hole in it that the stem of the coral can sit in. Then glue it into that hole. Or try to find a socket or a hole in your rock work that the stem will fit into.

I also don't have much love for underwater epoxy. Best superglue I've tried is

Bob Smith Industries Clear IC-Gel Super Glue Gel​

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new